Lombardy Fell Incident

scotspine1

3 hours ago, Arctostaphylos uva-ursi said:

Im rather jealous of your shiny capstan.  Is it any good for skidding?

It makes a good lowering bollard, Arcto, cos it can lift when engine engaged, but for skidding timber out, I would think a front ground anchor would need attaching. K

• Like 1

Whenever we tug trees over with a truck I always make sure someone reliable, and with a clear view of proceedings, stands next to the drivers open window, so that precise instructions are given on tension and when/how to move as the fell progresses. Not standing back in the road wiggling their fingers around.

• Like 4

The sound profile of the cutter's saw didn't instil a great deal of confidence that he was a competent feller...  Which might leave open the question of face cut and back cut accuracy and hinge integrity?  Just thinking out loud....

My thoughts too, if you cut through the tension side of the hinge on a side leaner/wind direction it’s always going to go sideways. Even with a quick pull it’s likely to end up not going where it’s desired. Saying that I’ve felled pops with slight side leans and the whole stump has failed or one of the buttresses tears off with the hinge.

1 hour ago, oldwoodcutter said:

Whenever we tug trees over with a truck I always make sure someone reliable, and with a clear view of proceedings, stands next to the drivers open window, so that precise instructions are given on tension and when/how to move as the fell progresses. Not standing back in the road wiggling their fingers around.

That rope went slack immediately, pointing to a hinge being cut through.

Agree though, clear communication in a tricky situation is essential (and easily organized)

2 hours ago, oldwoodcutter said:

I generally both cut and pull.

I attach the rope and tension. Then make the cut, leaving a good hinge, the get back in the mog and pull. Normally reversing to allow a good view of whats happening.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

I generally both cut and pull.

I attach the rope and tension. Then make the cut, leaving a good hinge, the get back in the mog and pull. Normally reversing to allow a good view of whats happening.

yep that sounds ideal as you can leave an over sized hinge as yer Mog will have the required grunt totug it over.