Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

41 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

For all the part messages I'd typed for Mark, before getting to the end of the thread, I can happily delete them all....

except this bit:

At what point does ridiculois become obvious Mark?  

(Not in chronological order)

Russia passes law to facilitate execution of overseas dissidents.

Russian dissident is assassinated with Russian sourced isotope.

Numerous other Russian dissidents "meet unexpected end."    

UK scientists identify source of chemical agent.

OPCW confirms UK identification of chemical agent.

Russia takes responsibility for clearing chemical weapons from Syria.

Syria suffers repeated chemical weapons incidents.

Russia denies Syrian chemical attack ever happened.

24 hrs later, Russia claims "West" responsible for Syrian chemical weapons attack. 

Jeremy Corbyn is a clown and Dianne Abbot can't tell the time.

and you know how much it pains us both to agree with each other Dave...

But I have to say, I simply cannot find anything to disagree with you on this.

Thanks for the clarification.  WW3 it is then.

I didn’t mean your drinking, I meant mine [emoji23]!!!

I realised that after I’d replied, by then it was too late! I’d confessed my sins and will just have to live with that!

To get back on subject, I really can’t be arsed with generational bullshit, our lives are getting easier to live with on a day to day basis in this country, it’s nobody’s fault! Well, it is actually... it’s the preceding generation surely?
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mark J said:

Thanks for the clarification.  WW3 it is then.

I’m (generally) pro Russia Mark, certainly not anti. But come on, are you (and Jeremy) seriously suggesting it’s all a put up job? 

Seriously....?

WWIII is a terrifying prospect and no sane person would wish for us to take that path (as you were Vesp) but you can’t seriously think (despite your apparent loathing of Western capitalism) that this is a set up to make the Reds look like the villain??

for my part, a dominant factor in voting FUEU was the destabilising effect of the ever persistant creep of the EU through former Soviet block states  hardly the actions of a body that sought ‘peace’ and stability in  our time. 

I’m (generally) pro Russia Mark, certainly not anti. But come on, are you (and Jeremy) seriously suggesting it’s all a put up job? 

Seriously....?

WWIII is a terrifying prospect and no sane person would wish for us to take that path (as you were Vesp) but you can’t seriously think (despite your apparent loathing of Western capitalism) that this is a set up to make the Reds look like the villain??

for my part, a dominant factor in voting FUEU was the destabilising effect of the ever persistant creep of the EU through former Soviet block states  hardly the actions of a body that sought ‘peace’ and stability in  our time. 

I can understand “not hating Russia”, through fear of their capabilities, I can’t understand “ not liking what Russia stands for” I,e dictatorship?

Facial recognition software lets Chinese police spot face in 50,000, Times and Mail had this story, very futuristic. Like Robocop the plod wearing jazzed up specs and putting up cameras linked to face databases. Interesting technology - if they had these cameras installed at all petrol stations wanted criminals would have to put on a disguise to fill up

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skyhuck said:

I'm not talking about any one generation.

Just today I needed to put some air in a rear tyre, pulled into a filling station, someone had parked in front of the air pump, so I have to manurer at an angle in front of the parked car and begin inflating the tyre. As I'm finishing up a woman comes back to the car, not from the forecourt shop, but from up the road somewhere. She says straightaway "can you move your car, I need to go" my Mrs points out she's the one blocking us by parking there. She goes on that she needs to go, etc, etc. Many people just feel so Self-entiteled. They care nothing for others. Parents park right outside the school often on the zig zags, the can't possible walk a few hundred yards. You park outside their house and they go bonkers, thats THEIR space.

People look at you like your stupid if you suggest they walk a couple of miles, we are capable of walking 30 miles in a day, with a pack, but people think thats crazy.

People feel TV's, carpets, holidays, cars, luxury food, mobile phones etc, etc are their right, not a privilege.

Look at Brexit, people don't want to respect democracy, they are only interested in what THEY want.

Don't get me wrong, these people are not evil or wicked, for the most part their just dim and selfish.

There are still a lot of good people, but many of them are pretty pathetic in their lack of effort or appreciation for just how good our lives are. 

One of the most accurate posts I have read on this forum.

Says it all

Unfortunately

P.S.

Another good example of dim and selfish driving behavouir, I regularly observe, or am subject to.

Say one is proceeding along an ordinary road or street, with a single lane in each direction, there is moderate traffic flow, & just up ahead a vehicle or other obstruction is blocking the oncoming traffic's lane, so that oncoming traffic is having to cross the median to proceed against the traffic flow.

As one gets closer they keep coming, and coming, and coming, even though I/you/one has the "right of the road", and when finally, after letting multiple cars through, one moves forward and blocks their incorrect/illegal manouver, they absolutely blow a gasket.

Because they feel entitled to drive on the wrong side of the road, because they are blindly following the vehicle in front, and they look no furthur ahead to see or access the consequences of their actions.

Kinda says it all about unthinking herd like nature of human behavouir.

marcus

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, difflock said:

One of the most accurate posts I have read on this forum.

Says it all

Unfortunately

P.S.

Another good example of dim and selfish driving behavouir, I regularly observe, or am subject to.

Say one is proceeding along an ordinary road or street, with a single lane in each direction, there is moderate traffic flow, & just up ahead a vehicle or other obstruction is blocking the oncoming traffic's lane, so that oncoming traffic is having to cross the median to proceed against the traffic flow.

As one gets closer they keep coming, and coming, and coming, even though I/you/one has the "right of the road", and when finally, after letting multiple cars through, one moves forward and blocks their incorrect/illegal manouver, they absolutely blow a gasket.

Because they feel entitled to drive on the wrong side of the road, because they are blindly following the vehicle in front, and they look no furthur ahead to see or access the consequences of their actions.

Kinda says it all about unthinking herd like nature of human behavouir.

marcus

Unfortunately - an all too regular occurrence.  

I was really quite impressed with the (lack of a) system in Poundbury.  

By my reckoning, it's the over use of signs and lines on the road which seek to, or are interpreted as, bestowing a 'right' or 'entitlement' upon us such that, when those rights or entitlements are perceived to be infringed, or someone is perceived to have taken a liberty, based upon the state imposed 'rights' marked upon the road, the obligatory condition of 'hard done by ness' results from the sense of having something taken away from you.

In Poundbury (I've only been there the once, quite a few years ago so I'm shooting from first impression / memory.  If someone has more local / recent knowledge happy to be corrected) there are shared spaces for vehicle, cycle, pedestrian, no centre or edge lane markings, no signs, no give way, no parking lines etc etc.... 

You might think chaos would ensue, but from what I saw, it was quite the opposite!  Each road user was taking responsibility for their own decisions - eg, approach a T junction, slow down, look all around for other road users, make eye contact, decide what was safe to do, often even nodding and smiling at the other driver before following through the manoveure.  No argy-bargy, just autonomous human interaction.

I think it's a model that could be applied across many sectors of society - stop people thinking they have a 'right' and start them thinking they have a 'responsibility!'  What a utopian world that would be.....

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

By my reckoning, it's the over use of signs and lines on the road which seek to, or are interpreted as, bestowing a 'right' or 'entitlement' upon us such that, when those rights or entitlements are perceived to be infringed, or someone is perceived to have taken a liberty, based upon the state imposed 'rights' marked upon the road, the obligatory condition of 'hard done by ness' results from the sense of having something taken away from you.

In Poundbury (I've only been there the once, quite a few years ago so I'm shooting from first impression / memory.  If someone has more local / recent knowledge happy to be corrected) there are shared spaces for vehicle, cycle, pedestrian, no centre or edge lane markings, no signs, no give way, no parking lines etc etc.... 

You might think chaos would ensue, but from what I saw, it was quite the opposite!  Each road user was taking responsibility for their own decisions - eg, approach a T junction, slow down, look all around for other road users, make eye contact, decide what was safe to do, often even nodding and smiling at the other driver before following through the manoveure.  No argy-bargy, just autonomous human interaction.

I think it's a model that could be applied across many sectors of society - stop people thinking they have a 'right' and start them thinking they have a 'responsibility!'  What a utopian world that would be.....

An astute observation Kev .

Morning Kev, did you get my PM?.
Thanks
Timon