Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

9 hours ago, Johnsond said:

They are not my buddies they are work colleagues. No I’d not be ok with them all coming here, why would they want to in the first place. What do I think ? I’m happy to live within the set up we have, ie on the whole a fairly tolerant and open society. it’s those who come here and are not you should be asking the latter question. Piss poor clumsy attempt by the way. 

The irony!

• Like 1

Looks like some of those terrible, scary Illegal's are now running Water Companies as well. We're up sht creek without a paddle. (A bit like the evil characters trying to cross the channel in small open boats).

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Three major companies released sewage on dry days in breach of their permits - BBC investigation.

1 hour ago, Johnsond said:

I know you are not Norwegian. 
The question you ask bears no relevance to the illegal immigration we are witnessing. I’ve actually worked for companies twice that have gone bust and lost money on both occasions. What I didn’t do is cross illegally into a more prosperous country for purely economic reasons putting huge strain on an already hard pushed social and economic system. 

So you have dodged my question twice.

In their position,with scant resources would you.

A: put yourself in another precarious position by stopping in the next stable country.

B: Try for the best option possible.

45 minutes ago, sime42 said:

The irony!

Please explain 🤷‍♂️

just because I get along with work colleagues from all over the world why would I want them all to move here 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️come on 42 explain the logic or reasoning behind that foolish comment. 

1 minute ago, Mike Hill said:

So you have dodged my question twice.

In their position,with scant resources would you.

A: put yourself in another precarious position by stopping in the next stable country.

B: Try for the best option possible.

I’ve not dodged your question at all. 
The Geneva convention is in place to answer and define all of the questions you seem to be interested in. It’s not a shopping trip scenario where you go for the best option. How is a stable country precarious ??. Me I’d take the first safe option for me and my family. I’d not then attempt another dangerous crossing. But hardly any of them are actually families are they so that’s a moot point. 
How many of the countries that these illegals have travelled through would you consider as precarious??. 
We don’t live in a world where you just look around at what’s  the most attractive option and then just rock up illegally, what’s happening in the English Channel every day is sheer insanity and is not sustainable in any way shape or form, regardless of what a few on here seem to be arguing for. 

Not every asylum seeker wants to come to the UK, European countries already have high numbers of settled successful asylum applicants. 

But consider if part of your family is here already, plus you speak English but not Italian, Greek, french etc. Having got as far as Calais you have probably been subject to risks worse than the concept of crossing the channel. 

If we could process claims in France the 20% who aren't eligible would never arrive because the smuggling business would break down. The 80% who are eligible get to come and contribute to society here. Add in a program of affordable house building and we wouldn't need to house anyone in hotels/barges/camps.

Alternatively the government could actually process some of the existing claims. It seems they'd rather create outrage by spending taxpayers money on hotels than do their jobs and process the claims. Because that's a pull factor apparently...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Please explain 🤷‍♂️

just because I get along with work colleagues from all over the world why would I want them all to move here 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️come on 42 explain the logic or reasoning behind that foolish comment. 

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

687236068_Screenshot_20230905-0924342.png.7122e28b18189fe7a47791d6a2ceb18e.png

🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Why let a good argument ruin a statistic.... per head of population Refugees in the UK ranks below Germany, Switzerland, Norway and even Sweden, which you might expect, but also places like Cameroon, Libya, Rwanda, Afghanistan, Algeria and even Canada (you have to really want to get to Canada in a Dinghy!). For a G7 country we are quite far down the list. The vast majority of the small boat crossings are by asylum seekers apart from Albanians (who only something like 1/3rd are given permission to stay, the rest are sent home again)

Kind of ruins the argument that they are picking and choosing where to go to doesn't it... or maybe it doesn't an actually they'd prefer to go to Iran than the UK!

Edited by Steven P
  • Haha 2