Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

5 minutes ago, carlos said:

so you work in a multicultural workplace and find it ok, would you be ok with your work buddies and their families moving to the uk?

which type of culture do you think should prevail in the uk?

They are not my buddies they are work colleagues. No I’d not be ok with them all coming here, why would they want to in the first place. What do I think ? I’m happy to live within the set up we have, ie on the whole a fairly tolerant and open society. it’s those who come here and are not you should be asking the latter question. Piss poor clumsy attempt by the way. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

It's not really like that.

They go as far as their money will take them in order to get the most out of it.

Which has good and bad points.

They could go to the next country which is slightly less shit but likely to turn as shit as where they came from pretty soon. Or bet the farm on a better option.

I would do the same. Shows pluck and courage.

Seriously!! So France,Spain, Italy etc etc or any of the other countries they have come through are such unsafe shit holes they are that desperate they will risk it all to cross the channel. 
That’s not pluck or courage it’s sheer abuse of a system that’s way way too soft and easy to manipulate.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Really? I was listening to an article on the wireless the other day that suggested 80% of asylum/illegals got granted permission to stay. If that’s the case we could keep 20% out before they cross the water?

Yeah really

You did read who’s now working for Amnesty international didn’t you ??? 

7 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Yes I know, now, back to my point, we could stop 20% coming in by changing the law, unfortunately that doesn’t win votes.

How could we change any law ?? Go and read the part of the Geneva convention that defines refugee status , look into asylum seeker at the same time. The UK as a signatory to the agreement and has obligations but once they decide to pick and choose a country  🙏🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Seriously!! So France,Spain, Italy etc etc or any of the other countries they have come through are such unsafe shit holes they are that desperate they will risk it all to cross the channel. 
That’s not pluck or courage it’s sheer abuse of a system that’s way way too soft and easy to manipulate.

Depends

There are plenty of refugees in every country on the way to the UK,We even had Syrian's peddling over the Russian border into Finmark on childs bicycles.The system caters for the refugees is designed to weed out the ones that lack genuine reason to stay,do you think the government wants to get mugged off?

If you were in their position what would you do? You have $5000,its all you have to start a new life.Settle in the next toilet of a land that lacks the rule of law,or go as far as your money will take in in search of a better life.Genuine question by the way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Depends

There are plenty of refugees in every country on the way to the UK,We even had Syrian's peddling over the Russian border into Finmark on childs bicycles.The system caters for the refugees is designed to weed out the ones that lack genuine reason to stay,do you think the government wants to get mugged off?

If you were in their position what would you do? You have $5000,its all you have to start a new life.Settle in the next toilet of a land that lacks the rule of law,or go as far as your money will take in in search of a better life.Genuine question by the way.

Same answer as before 

Are France Italy Spain etc Toilets ??

Your view seems to be somewhat at odds with every single Norwegian crew member on here, male and female when this topic is discussed.

• Like 1

For those who think the UK is such an intolerant place may I suggest a trip to KSA,Singapore etc or even in our backyard Poland, Hungary etc etc. Having worked in both the first two locations I can assure you it’s follow the rules or you’re ****************ed big time. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

Same answer as before 

Are France Italy Spain etc Toilets ??

Your view seems to be somewhat at odds with every single Norwegian crew member on here, male and female when this topic is discussed.

I am not Norwegian

I guess thats why?

What would you do with your $5000? If thats all you had?

I guess I could frame this another way,if you lost the job you are on tomorrow.Say if the company goes pop,would you look for another job at the same or greater payrate and position or work at your local dive shop filling tanks and fixing regulators?

Jobs a job after all no?

12 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

I am not Norwegian

I guess thats why?

What would you do with your $5000? If thats all you had?

I guess I could frame this another way,if you lost the job you are on tomorrow.Say if the company goes pop,would you look for another job at the same or greater payrate and position or work at your local dive shop filling tanks and fixing regulators?

Jobs a job after all no?

I know you are not Norwegian. 
The question you ask bears no relevance to the illegal immigration we are witnessing. I’ve actually worked for companies twice that have gone bust and lost money on both occasions. What I didn’t do is cross illegally into a more prosperous country for purely economic reasons putting huge strain on an already hard pushed social and economic system. 

Edited by Johnsond
  • Like 1