Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

13 hours ago, Big J said:

I don't even think with higher wages that Brits would entertain the idea of fruit/veg picking. The issue is that it has to be tied to production rate and like with chainsaw operation, the difference between the best and the worst is massive and hourly rates can't be paid in such situations.

Another point potentially worth noting is that Brits aren't very good at sticking at one job for extended periods of time. I recall seeing a TV show where German and British employees swapped jobs for a period. I don't remember the name of the programme, but the German company was Faber Castell (pencil maker). They spoke to an employee who operated a specific machine and had done so for over ten years. He was perfectly happy. The job was semi skilled, but he was very good at it, had excellent work conditions and took pride in his work.

It is more common in the UK (and I include myself in this) for employees to see each job only as an entry on their CV. A progression to the next opportunity. That short-termist approach to employment means it's unlikely for UK workers to stick at fruit and veg picking for any period of time as they'll be looking at the employment horizon beyond.

It's a generalisation I know, but I do feel that there is truth in it. I found it to be the case with chainsaw operatives in the UK. It was very difficult to find quality cutters who were technically adept, hard working and without ego. The best cutters were running or wanted to run their own squads, and there were a lot of lads that thought they were brilliant when really they weren't. 

As regards immigration here in Sweden, no one will argue that it was done perfectly. Too many in too short a time is the consensus. The problems are obviously worse in the cities and we don't see the kinds of issues that they do. 

I really like that our school has 30% kids with parents born outside of Sweden. It's about 10-12% German/Austrian, and my daughters are at school with kids from Syria, the Baltic states, the UK, almost every country in Europe and even America. 

Sounds great. The sooner that children get exposed to different cultures, languages, races, religions, cuisines etc,  the better. It can only broaden their horizons and aid development. Anything else is a disadvantage, in a multicultural world.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, sime42 said:

Sounds great. The sooner that children get exposed to different cultures, languages, races, religions, cuisines etc,  the better. It can only broaden their horizons and aid development. Anything else is a disadvantage, in a multicultural world.

That’s a reasonable assumption with western kids but extremely naive at the same time, if it works both ways then fine. . Try exposing a Muslim child to a different religions at school  and then see the reaction and consequences. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

That’s a reasonable assumption with western kids but extremely naive at the same time, if it works both ways then fine. . Try exposing a Muslim child to a different religions at school  and then see the reaction and consequences. 

Weird... because they are exposed to all in general schools. Try getting a Catholic school to accept a Muslim child and cater for their specific needs - same as getting a Muslim school to do the same for a Catholic

29 minutes ago, Steven P said:

Weird... because they are exposed to all in general schools. Try getting a Catholic school to accept a Muslim child and cater for their specific needs - same as getting a Muslim school to do the same for a Catholic

Try getting a Catholic school to cater for the specific needs of a child with a secular outlook!

• Like 1

🤷‍♂️for those among you who yearn for this multicultural paradise. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Try getting a Catholic school to cater for the specific needs of a child with a secular outlook!

Try not sending them there in the first place 🤷‍♂️. What would be the specific needs for this child with the outlook you describe. 

8 minutes ago, sime42 said:

We did, wasn't happening. 'secular' isn't going to make some choke into their cornflakes as much as 'Muslim' would for a post first thing in the morning, far more amusing.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Steven P said:

We did, wasn't happening. 'secular' isn't going to make some choke into their cornflakes as much as 'Muslim' would for a post first thing in the morning, far more amusing.

🤔Pretty sure parents have the option to remove kids from RE lessons in the UK if they choose . 

Edited by Johnsond