Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Yanks  going batshit crazy overlockdown ?

Stormed the state house in michigan:

Think they have being playing to mch COD on the xbox?

NINTCHDBPICT000580198412.jpg

image.thumb.png.384e49cae6dfaec0da7d35778b613e67.png

They didn’t storm it at all they were exercising the rights they have to peaceful protest and to bear arms. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Sure we are only buying time but it makes more sense than just leaving many to die IMO

In that time our hospitals are learning better treatments and the survival rate may well go up.

BTW I posted months back that were a smallpox virus to get loose we were all naive to it, that would have had a 30% death rate in the absence of modern medicaal treatment. In fact it has been eliminated in the wild. I'm not aware if variola species are RNA viruses. Of course Jenner famously demonstrated a vaccine for smallpox.

Similarly HIV was fatal for the first 20 years of its appearance, there's still no cure or vaccine but there are treatement that control its spread and morbidity.

The problem here has been that air travel, in particular, has enabled the spread before countries outside China were properly aware.

It seems to me there was always a critical mass of humans necessary to propagate the virus once it evolved and in earlier times it may have died out naturally.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Does anyone that supports international migration and a So-called ‘world without borders’ still need any evidence for the dangers of unrestricted migration?

Is migration the main reason for international travel? I would hazard a guess that it accounts for a tiny proportion of seats on a plane/bus/ferry

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Woodworks said:

Is migration the main reason for international travel? I would hazard a guess that it accounts for a tiny proportion of seats on a plane/bus/ferry

I’d presume it’s referring to migration/movement rather than immigration ?‍♂️.

Edited by Johnsond

if a country existed that had banned tourism, emigration, immigration, business travel, they could still have freight deliveries and just leave it for 3 days to fester before onward haulage in case there is virus aboard. No £300 billion bailout package needed. Chinese tourists probably sneezing and coughing all over London back in January, February, March. Italy had the rag trade - where the rich Italians in Lombardy get the peasants out in China to make the cheap fashion items, so the Italians constantly flying to Wuhan overseeing the factories.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, openspaceman said:

In that time our hospitals are learning better treatments and the survival rate may well go up.

BTW I posted months back that were a smallpox virus to get loose we were all naive to it, that would have had a 30% death rate in the absence of modern medicaal treatment. In fact it has been eliminated in the wild. I'm not aware if variola species are RNA viruses. Of course Jenner famously demonstrated a vaccine for smallpox.

Similarly HIV was fatal for the first 20 years of its appearance, there's still no cure or vaccine but there are treatement that control its spread and morbidity.

The problem here has been that air travel, in particular, has enabled the spread before countries outside China were properly aware.

It seems to me there was always a critical mass of humans necessary to propagate the virus once it evolved and in earlier times it may have died out naturally.

Small pox ' has not' been eradicated. It will be kept somewhere. And has to be for reasearch purposes. Plus there is a moral question on this ( destruction of a species)  Also, the fact this C19 virus has 'suddenly' become more lethal ( it was discovered decades ago) begs the question how do we control use or research on such life threatening biological components. Viruses have been around as long as time and this threat is no different than it was in Plague times. How we manage it will decide. K

Edited by Khriss
Clarity
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Small pox ' has not' been eradicated. It will be kept somewhere. And has to be for reasearch purposes. Plus there is a moral question on this ( destruction of a species)  Also, the fact this C19 virus has 'suddenly' become more lethal ( it was discovered decades ago) begs the question how do we control use or research on such life threatening biological components. Viruses have been around as long as time and this threat is no different than it was in Plague times. How we manage it will decide. K

Smallpox is kept in a Petri-dish at Porton Down, Salisbury.