Making the news today....

Mick Dempsey

MPs well paid?

The deputy head teacher at my wife's school earns more for not running a school yet you think MPs are well paid to run the country.

Maybe if it did pay well we would get some decent MPs

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

The average wage of an assistant head teacher in england is 42,500.

The average wage of an MP in england is 74 000 plus expenses..your arguement has just fell on its arse

If anyone ever wants an eye opener look at the house prices for Kensington and Chelsea on Rightmove... There are 78 properties for sale at over £10million...

The highest council tax for K&C is £2000 a year... You'd think someone with a £10m house should be paying more than £2000 a year...

Splitting hairs, but it's just over £2100 for the higest band in K&C. Just checked. I pay just over £2000 for a band E bungolow in the Yorkshire Dales.

Probably time there was a reassessment of council tax rates and brackets. Saying that, if it was free, I still wouldn't want to live anywhere in London.

Lol, what did I say! In a few months we'll be best pals.

Tbh, the pay for an MP isn't really that huge considering the job insecurity and they work in London..... I've travelled in the third world and a lot of officials want baksheesh (backhanders) because they are paid poorly. If you cut MPs pay you'd get more corrupt MPs.

Are you suggesting that we have some corrupt MPs? Actual politicians that aren't doing the job for the greater good of the people?

And there was me thinking they're all a load of self-serving buggers who will lie through their teeth to suit their own ends.

The average wage of an assistant head teacher in england is 42,500.

The average wage of an MP in england is 74 000 plus expenses..your arguement has just fell on its arse

Except it hasn't as he is on£77k big school mind. I was not talking averages.

Besides £74k isn't enough to attract any one that's half decent. The main reason people can afford to do it is they already have money and they are on some personal mission

Except it hasn't as he is on£77k big school mind. I was not talking averages.

Besides £74k isn't enough to attract any one that's half decent. The main reason people can afford to do it is they already have money and they are on some personal mission

How conveinent for you that after my post quoting figures you suddenly come out with a figure just above the MP salary i quoted....hmmm i smell porkie pies to save face...:sneaky2:

That aside,im sure you will conceed that your teacher friend is in the minority and his salary is not a reflection of the average assistant head throughout the educational system.

You seem to have forgot that some MPs will earn more than that 74 grand quoted as that is just an average..oh and expenses which can run into the tens of thousands...

Edited by stihlmadasever

How conveinent for you that after my post quoting figures you suddenly come out with a figure just above the MP salary i quoted....hmmm i smell porkie pies to save face...:sneaky2:

That aside,im sure you will conceed that your teacher friend is in the minority and his salary is not a reflection of the average assistant head throughout the education system.

You seem to have forgot that some MPs will earn more than that 74 grand quoted as that is just an average..oh and expenses which can run into the tens of thousands...

Agreed he is highly paid (too much on balance) but there is 3 of them on that plus the head on 100k plus.

My point is more that £75k or thereabouts is not a huge amount to be earning for running the country.

To be honest I was surprised how much he and the others are on as it's £25k or so more than the next level down.

Don't know where you found your average from though figures I've just found come out at £55k that's the first google result anyway.

Re. Expenses it's no wonder they claim a lot otherwise they would be broke being paid so little [emoji23]

Lol, what did I say! In a few months we'll be best pals.

Tbh, the pay for an MP isn't really that huge considering the job insecurity and they work in London..... I've travelled in the third world and a lot of officials want baksheesh (backhanders) because they are paid poorly. If you cut MPs pay you'd get more corrupt MPs.

Just seen this....hmmm,i dont think we'll ever be bff's but id talk about trees over a pint with ya...your round though,

after all i am scottish and i know you like a stereotype :001_tt2:

Just seen this....hmmm,i dont think we'll ever be bff's but id talk about trees over a pint with ya...your round though,

after all i am scottish and i know you like a stereotype :001_tt2:

Get a room you pair.

I think pensioners should be means tested for all they receive Timon, a fair few of them are in mansions and sitting on very healthy nest eggs while others are in desperate need. The elderly are all living longer and drain an amount of cash from the pension/healthcare/housing pot that is totally unsustainable and disproportionate to the contributions made during their working life. I feel it should only go to those that need it most however unpopular that is. We all know there is nothing in the kitty and owe it to future generations not to rack up more

Bob

I agree with you Bob. I just think that the way that the Tories left themselves wide open to criticism that makes it look like they are targeting the most vulnerable in society was very naive. Surely they should be able to explain themselves and their policies with a bit more skill?

This country desperately needs to get its finances sorted and priorities in order, everyone (except Corbyn) knows that.

Foreign Aid administration/wages costs rising by 40% is a case in point.

Timon.