Fings wot broke

aspenarb

7 hours ago, doobin said:

Gasless MIG is a gimmick. I don't know anyone who uses it professionally.

It's basically an auto-feed arc welder, with none of the benefits of a stick welder such as bending the rod around corners or easily changing between different rods for root and cap. It's aimed at DIY'ers who think renting a gas bottle is expensive.

If you are insisting on using it and having trouble feeding, check your feed roller channel diameters. 0.8 and 1mm are standard wire sizes. For fluxed wire you need 0.9 (from memory)- obviously it won't feed well if you have the wrong roller in.

The Rtech 180 MIG is a great tool on 0.8 wire and does all my little bits and bobs. I keep the 250 on 1mm wire for larger work.

Not sure I would say it's a gimmick. It's what I use as I am such an an occasional user, its not worth renting bottles. I have used it on site to weld on hinges on gate posts, with success.

I mainly use it when I get a broken bolt on a machine and need to weld a nut on to undo it!

Yes. 0.9mm is correct.

Edited by dig-dug-dan
  • Like 1

Nice crusty terminals ey? Lol 😆 

Ffs! First sign of frost and batteries are toast..... in fairness been a bit sluggish to start last month or so.... both down to 12.17v now. Will try give them a charge and put them back on but suspect it will want fresh

20221129_135921.jpg

Edited by swinny
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Not sure I would say it's a gimmick. It's what I use as I am such an an occasional user, its not worth renting bottles. I have used it on site to weld on hinges on gate posts, with success.

I mainly use it when I get a broken bolt on a machine and need to weld a nut on to undo it!

Yes. 0.9mm is correct.

I'm a big fan of rent free bottles. Hobbyweld or SGS. You pay a deposit and then no rental, just the fill/exchange fees. You get your deposit back when you don't need a bottle any more. Most motor factors stock them, I like that they bring them out to me, it saves a lot of hassle.

You won't look back if you switch to gas- particularly for jobs such as welding a broken bolt, where the gas shield ensures that the weld is solid from the start- ciritical if you've only got a small amount of area to start with (that broken bolt!)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I mostly used mig for rotten bodywork and exhaust repairs so was thinking about 0.6mm wire as 0.8 seems a bit easy to blow holes, but okay if pulsed.

The 180 will run .6 quite well, as you probably know what is important for bodywork is how low you can turn the welder down. From memory the 180 goes right down to ten amps, whereas many cheap machines bottom out around 30 amps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, doobin said:

I'm a big fan of rent free bottles. Hobbyweld or SGS. You pay a deposit and then no rental, just the fill/exchange fees. You get your deposit back when you don't need a bottle any more. Most motor factors stock them, I like that they bring them out to me, it saves a lot of hassle.

You won't look back if you switch to gas- particularly for jobs such as welding a broken bolt, where the gas shield ensures that the weld is solid from the start- ciritical if you've only got a small amount of area to start with (that broken bolt!)

I hadnt considered the no rent bottle idea. But flux scored is ideal in the wind when I'm outside though!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, swinny said:

Nice crusty terminals ey? Lol 😆 

Ffs! First sign of frost and batteries are toast..... in fairness been a bit sluggish to start last month or so.... both down to 12.17v now. Will try give them a charge and put them back on but suspect it will want fresh

20221129_135921.jpg

My van cranker came to me ready-tired. A few weeks stood and then the cold snap finally pushed me to buy one of those Noco jumper packs.Not needed it yet but good peace of mind having it.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Lost hydraulics on 3pl o fendt the other week, one problem was it dumped all the oil from hydraulic tank into the back that was 20 litres of oil in the wrong place. Spoke to mechanic and said seal in arm ram, easy job access via cab remove mat and plate undo plate with 4 bolt and pull out, straight forward to that point then tried to put new seal on with no joy. Off to local hydraulic lads tomorrow hope they can fit it. 

DSC_0142.thumb.jpg.c1896114482c4ba6f34f892af4cd3628.jpgDSC_0144.jpg.2aa2ba1e85ee6ff6f3805775f69c8faf.jpg

• Like 2