Fings wot broke

aspenarb

A decent inverter mig is still pretty small (so long as you go for a 5kg reel model) and will also do arc. No issues with it outside so long as you are sensible with positioning etc. 

Agreeed a small arc is ‘handier’, but for me the better results I get with mig far outweighs this, especially on larger jobs. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, william127 said:

I guess it wouldn't be if I had a mig setup😅🤦‍♂️  I'm quite happy to have a go with my mates in his workshop when I get the chance👍 

I suppose its just my arc welder is really handy, one smallish case with machine, leads, rods, easy to put in the truck, doesn't take up much storage space. It's  comparatively cheap to buy as well, which was quite important when I bought it.

Main thing is I an finally getting to grips with one kind of welding and actually starting to enjoy it, rather than just ending up pissed off with it👍

Have you tried using different rods? 7018 rods leave a lovely finish but they are really hard to get going.

42 minutes ago, Brushcutter said:

Have you tried using different rods? 7018 rods leave a lovely finish but they are really hard to get going.

I haven't, I will get some and have a play👍

We are putting up a salvaged mezzanine floor in my welding mates workshop in the near future. There are 75 brackets to be welded on, I plan on using it as an opportunity to become halfway competent with his mig welder🤞👍  then I'll be able to use that when doing workshop based jobs.

10 minutes ago, william127 said:

I haven't, I will get some and have a play👍

We are putting up a salvaged mezzanine floor in my welding mates workshop in the near future. There are 75 brackets to be welded on, I plan on using it as an opportunity to become halfway competent with his mig welder🤞👍  then I'll be able to use that when doing workshop based jobs.

Treat yourself to an Rtech, they're not expensive and give good results.

• Like 1

Mig is ok if you can keep wire dry, borrowed a flux core set up off someone was alright to start with a new reel and then went to use it a couple of days later and wire would not feed, it was corroded. That's why I have never bought one. 

Using an inverter is easier then old buzz box,. 

Got a 200amp mosa genset what a tool that is. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, woody paul said:

Mig is ok if you can keep wire dry, borrowed a flux core set up off someone was alright to start with a new reel and then went to use it a couple of days later and wire would not feed, it was corroded. That's why I have never bought one. 

Using an inverter is easier then old buzz box,. 

Got a 200amp mosa genset what a tool that is. 

Yes once the condensation gets on the outer layers the copper spalls off and it won't feed, best to take the reel off and keep it indoors, though the inner layers are often still good.

I have a 200A Haverhill with a Honda 390 in somebody's shed, he is a it reluctant to return it, fine for bigger welding with the sticks and also runs a mig off the 230V side.

1 hour ago, Brushcutter said:

Another vote for rtech welders.

I see they do a reasonably cheap 180A one and a spool gun accessory for £130, I might treat myself to one to replace the skip find and give it to Danny when he returns from his travels, he struggled to weld the body mounting points which had rusted through on my Vitara this week , Mot booked tomorrow, and wouldn't accept payment.

Gasless MIG is a gimmick. I don't know anyone who uses it professionally.

It's basically an auto-feed arc welder, with none of the benefits of a stick welder such as bending the rod around corners or easily changing between different rods for root and cap. It's aimed at DIY'ers who think renting a gas bottle is expensive.

If you are insisting on using it and having trouble feeding, check your feed roller channel diameters. 0.8 and 1mm are standard wire sizes. For fluxed wire you need 0.9 (from memory)- obviously it won't feed well if you have the wrong roller in.

The Rtech 180 MIG is a great tool on 0.8 wire and does all my little bits and bobs. I keep the 250 on 1mm wire for larger work.

28 minutes ago, doobin said:

The Rtech 180 MIG is a great tool on 0.8 wire and does all my little bits and bobs. I keep the 250 on 1mm wire for larger work.

I mostly used mig for rotten bodywork and exhaust repairs so was thinking about 0.6mm wire as 0.8 seems a bit easy to blow holes, but okay if pulsed.

• Like 1