Is arb work hard work?

Horatio

I am "the boy" with the firm i work one day a week for on my day off from my retail job and am grateful for the experience in a saturated trade! My boss has said to me before that he will know am warm enough when my t shirts wet! Am with the op on this one! Top dollar being paid by the op so top work rate required! And really if a guy is going to fall over and hurt himself whilst empty handed in a garden i doubt he is going to go to far in the industry!

Go hard or go home!

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am "the boy" with the firm i work one day a week for on my day off from my retail job and am grateful for the experience in a saturated trade! My boss has said to me before that he will know am warm enough when my t shirts wet! Am with the op on this one! Top dollar being paid by the op so top work rate required! And really if a guy is going to fall over and hurt himself whilst empty handed in a garden i doubt he is going to go to far in the industry!

Go hard or go home!

+1 :001_smile:

Go hard or go home!

:thumbup:

Ok guys I feel I need to clarify the whole thread.

They have no tickets so that means no chainsaw work!

So their job is to feed the chipper, fill up saws and that it til rake time.

I use the boys on three or four men days, there is plenty of time for them to look about and see what's going on. But when it's all going on pieces being rigged down by one guy being logged and cut up by another (all have their tickets) I and the ticketed groundys want the brash chipped and out of the way quickly so the drop and working zone is kept safe and clean.

Let the abuse begin

Amusing.

I have just read eveything before this post and cannot read anymore, you are a very dangerous and unjust person to work for in my opinion. I have been doing this job before chippers were used so I have seen the transition from brashing down on the back of the truck, burning on site all the way through to the chippers we now have.

You are saying more than once within your post's that you expect your brash dragger to keep the site clear and chip the brash yet you make no mention that he should have his chipper ticket, CSCS, First Aid, Groundsman training, site induction, risk assessment, method statement, etc, etc, the list is almost endless of the HSE issues you are involved with.

It seems you expect the best but you appear to be the worst boss I have ever come across.

I did see in a previous post you told some one to get a life...ditto.

Good luck in your quest, I fear your search will be a long one.

Not bullied Felix, the young guy is not getting teat like crap. Maybe I could treat him really well and get him straight up nice 100 ft dead oak beside a busy a road. Seeing as it so disrespectful to ask him to hurry it along on him empty handed return.

He is being asked to do what he can, only jogging back I really don't see the problem.

Think this is one of those time where I wished I had never asked.

See it from I am it the way it's always been for thought it was the norm. I am truly shocked people reaction to this and me.

Re-read the post I quoted and compare the way you speak about the 'boy' and what you expect from him with the terms you use about your more experienced staff. It reads to me as though you hate him and view him with contempt for committing the heinous crime of being young and inexperienced. Your actions remind me of the sub-bully, leaning out from behind the main man, waving his fist and backing up the threats with a 'yeah', an image reinforced by your references to whoever your friend is.

Been reading this thread with interest. From my point of view, both running my own company and supervising the council arb unit, nobody runs. That's been drilled in to me from when I first started. I believe at least it knackers you out and at most, it's downright dangerous. Our council chipper chews anything up to about 12 inches in diameter. Sometimes it takes 3 of us to lift the limb into the feed rollers. That's enough effort and energy expended in that one limb to justify not running back for the next bit. We keep this up all day on the bigger jobs. Kieth Wadkin, a guy who I had a lot of time for and had been in the industry a long time, had me on his sites a few times. Old fella, 65ish but he could work. Kept up a steady pace all day. At the end of the day he was still trudging along and I was knackered from rushing around. Also, most of the larger outfits, Department of Labour etc will not allow it. That's my bit on running.

As far as old and young; we tried a lot of young fellas on our sites. So far the youngest on the team is 30, followed by me at 43 and finally our new recruit at 55. Our new recruit, Lance, is the hardest worker we've had. Within my own business my employees are 43, 41 and 30. Now, that's not tarring all with the same brush. There are some old guys at the council that are bone idle and milk the system for all its worth and there are plenty of young guys in the industry that bust their ass to get ahead. I think it all boils down to the individual.

Is arb hard work? Well, I'm in bed at 8.30-9.00 every night and I'm knackered. Maybe it's because I'm old but my 30 year old lead climber often hits the sack before me if he's not asleep on the couch so yeah, I think its hard work but it's also rewarding and I enjoy most days I'm out dragging brush or swinging around a tree so who cares if it's hard.

Finally, do we really have to get into name calling to make a point? It's really putting me off some of the threads recently. Or is that just me showing my age 😄

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

Go hard, cock it up and go home in a body bag!

Fixed that for ya:laugh1:

Re-read the post I quoted and compare the way you speak about the 'boy' and what you expect from him with the terms you use about your more experienced staff. It reads to me as though you hate him and view him with contempt for committing the heinous crime of being young and inexperienced. Your actions remind me of the sub-bully, leaning out from behind the main man, waving his fist and backing up the threats with a 'yeah', an image reinforced by your references to whoever your friend is.

Felix you are wasted on manual work, move over guys there is a new analyst in town:thumbup1::thumbup1:

I think there is a problem with a lot of people these days. Not just in tree work but in general. There isn't respect, there isn't the expectation to "pull your finger out" and get the job done. There is more of a lethargic apathy to everything in general. People turn up for work as if it's the bosses privilege that they even bothered. I guess, in a way, that Horatio is just asking for someone, anyone, to actually turn up and show some enthusiasm for the job for a change, instead of thinking they're doing him a favour. A mate of mine rang the other day, a lad who used to help us out daily came back after a couple of years out, on the basis of how well he used to work. To say he is disappointed with the lad is an understatement. He now slouches about, disinterested, staring at his feet while he mooches through the day, very frustrating to see what was a potentially good worker slip downhill.

Ok, so maybe the wording in some of Horatios posts comes across a little wrong, but read between the lines, see his frustration, when you find a good worker, keep him, cos there are a lot of bad uns out there, young or old.

And name calling, because you disagree.... Come on, discuss properly!