When does a person become a "tree surgeon"?

Perkins

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought "tree surgeon" was a strange title. But then I'm not British. The title comes with the job, I reckon. If the job advert says "tree surgeon" then that's what you will be, and anyone can be one as long as they cut branches off trees. I much prefer "tree worker" because of the connotations of the title: "I work with trees", it's not "I try to mend trees". You won't be an arborist though until you can give good sound informed advise on tree-related matters to clients/stakeholders/punters/other professionals. As for an arboriculturist, I guess you'll need a higher qualification, or loads of knowledge acquired from outside the educational facilities, and you'd probably be wearing more formal clothes at work...

Sanny, you get that in all walks of life but it doesn't mean you are any less worthy of a title if you are one.

There was a well respected Surgeon in Halifax Hospital struck off recently because he had been operating on people for donkeys years and he had never done any training or got qualifications and the pillark nearly operated on me, but I had a run in with him because of his attitude, I don't like people who look down on others :001_smile:

aye didnt mean to snd like a was looking down on any one just that av met so many so called tree surgeons that dont have a clue and there work shows that.

if anyone asked me what my ocupation was aye tell them im a tree surgeon coz ppl understand the word if aye told them i was an arborist there lyk what the hell is that. :001_smile:

im not really sure how my opinion will go down here but here goes,

i think a tree surgeon is someone who has cs 30, 31, 38 and 39 and 5 years experience and an arborist is all of above with at a good few more years experience

I think you hit the nail on the head with that post Alisdair!

Oh, and the final qualification is you must have had at least one dump in the woods :001_smile:

you also need to be able to tell the front of a tree from the back of the tree.

the secret is to look for the bog roll and you have found the back of the tree cos nobody $**ts in front of a tree.:001_tongue:

The way I understand it is that if you did something like damaged a property or injured someone when you are cutting a windblown tree and dont have the certificate of competence then your insurance will be void which means you are working with no insurance, which is illegal??

I can feel another phone call to HSE coming on here.. lol

No!!!! and No!!!!!!

I do wish people would get the facts straight!!:thumbdown: