When does a person become a "tree surgeon"?

Perkins

The wikapedia definition of arborist is very broad in spectrum and inclusive of many things we include under the title "tree surgeon"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arborist

I may be by definition an arborist, however I do not define myself or others within the arb or related industry by limiting titles. Why would I percieve that another worker is of lesser standard due to the monicer or title that they bestow upon themselves or others upon them?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve always thought a tree surgeon is someone with all the relevant NPTC units. As you progress and start passing and working through your RFS, ISA Tech Cert etc then I think you can call yourself an arborist. An arborist without these qualifications/knowledge is a tree surgeon. :001_smile:

Thats my take on it John, i class my self as a tree surgeon now, i have cs30/31-38-39-40-41 stump grinder and chipper, and have reasonable day to day working knowlage of trees(nothing like you or monkeyd, tony s etc) but enough to be able to give good sound advice, i am also doing ISA cert arb so when i pass that i would class myself as an Arborist, Jo public dont give a **** though, i go to one property and get called the wood cutter!!!:sneaky2:

unfortunatley Anyone can generalise themself as a Tree surgeon if indeed they can alter the form of a tree

There is no mandatory legal status or accreditation that makes you a tree surgeon

or stops anyone from advertising their services as such

However there are restrictions under how & if that work should be done

Mhasaw, Puwer, Loler, Coshh, T&C plan act, ETc Etc

I have seen so many tree surgeons with more tickets than a train conductor yet they still do tree work that is not good.

To become a tree surgeon a proper one takes years to perfect its like art some are good some are crap. Its all down to those who go the extra mile to make a job proper and those who just get it done.

I do agree cs30-31-38-39-40-41 makes you a pro in terms of technical skill the rest can only be learned i still have not got all the above again it takes time.

unfortunatley Anyone can generalise themself as a Tree surgeon if indeed they can alter the form of a tree

There is no mandatory legal status or accreditation that makes you a tree surgeon

or stops anyone from advertising their services as such

However there are restrictions under how & if that work should be done

Mhasaw, Puwer, Loler, Coshh, T&C plan act, ETc Etc

I agree with the Yorkshireman on this one. I can walk into prontoprint & ten minutes later walk out with my carpentry business set up. There's nothing stopping anyone from doing the same with treework. Place your ad in YP & your now fully fledged & ready to discuss stuff with anyone who uses YP to find such services. Put your bunts on the table & within a couple of days you've got a truck & chipper; next stop is Davys Vinyl Signs & now your the looking the cream of the crop. As some have already said, the GP don't now the difference between one & another & I'm fairly sure that driving down the road none of us would either.

When I did tree climbing & aerial rescue the assessor admitted that he didn't understand a quater of what I said during the assessment but that didn't change me from a surgeon to an arborist.

Basically I think that if your motivation is to become highly skilled at the work you've chosen to do then you need to akin yourself with like minded folk who look for something else in the everyday mundane skills. If we're honest with ourselves we could probably improve a little more each day but we choose not to. Stay simple until your comfortable enough to move on & then when your comfortable move on again & don't ever think that moving onwards comes to an end cos that will just limit any potential that may be left. As Pete said, don't put yourself in a box; the lid might close & then you can't see out.

Blah, blah, sorry!

Nod

i think NPTCs mean naff all-theres plenty of people out there who have all the tickets, but are usless, and theres those who havent done any tickets who are simply awesome in a tree.

in my opinion, its quality of workmanship to the standard relevant to the time (40 years ago had anyone heard of target pruning? lowering devices? CODIT?)

You hate the term tree surgeon well you can polish a turd but its still a turd.

Arborist is for the people who think tree surgeon just wont do you know the type think there special.

I use the term the public know i mean please put down arborist as your keywords haha ill keep tree surgeon :sneaky2: