When does a person become a "tree surgeon"?

Perkins

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dont agree with that really, 39 only allows you to use a saw in a tree, what about 40 which is pruning 41 which is dismantling.

Without those you cant prune, nor should you be dismantling a tree.

So if you have a ticket certifying you to use a saw in a tree, what exactly are you going to do with the saw except prune or dismantle?????????

So if you have a ticket certifying you to use a saw in a tree, what exactly are you going to do with the saw except prune or dismantle?????????

your not certified to prune or dimantle by rigging ...................................................................................................................... !

that's an opinion through reading the AFAG guidane and NPTC assesment notes

I hate the term tree surgeon.

Get used to it, to the general public, thats what we are and nothing will ever change that.

You can try as hard as you want to call yourself an arborist/treeclimber or whatever, even get the Arb Association/ISA involved but 99.9% of the UK public will still recognise someone working in a tree from a rope and harness as a tree surgeon.

The industry is just too small to try and change the term tree surgeon to something else.

Ask a random bloke or woman in the street in any town in the UK what an arborist is and they wont have clue and if you tell them they will care even less. Its just the way it is. Deal with it. :001_tongue:

IMO a tree surgeon is somebody who holds more than just CS30, 31, 38, 39, has experience and knows and demonstrates regularly thier skill in all aspects of tree work, both at ground level and in the tree.

To me an arborist is somebody who has a degree in arboriculture and does not necessarily carry out tree work always.

I hate the fact that so many people have only the CS 30/31/38/39 - and then call themselfs a tree surgeon.

As far as i'm aware, if you only hold the above qualifications, you cannot do any work on wind or storm damaged (blown) trees or cut down any tree above guidebar length which I think is about 15'' generally.

SO.... That, legally, leaves very little you can actually do!

It's not legally though. It's a requirement to have received appropriate training if you are working for someone. If you work for yourself its another matter. Most stuff will relate to best practice and will only actually apply with the involvement of the HSE. For instance I lowered a small branch off the other day using an old climbing rope, not illegal, but if I'd killed someone I'd be in the doggies.....

Rob

It's not legally though. It's a requirement to have received appropriate training if you are working for someone. If you work for yourself its another matter. Most stuff will relate to best practice and will only actually apply with the involvement of the HSE. For instance I lowered a small branch off the other day using an old climbing rope, not illegal, but if I'd killed someone I'd be in the doggies.....

Rob

The way I understand it is that if you did something like damaged a property or injured someone when you are cutting a windblown tree and dont have the certificate of competence then your insurance will be void which means you are working with no insurance, which is illegal??

I can feel another phone call to HSE coming on here.. lol

I’ve always thought a tree surgeon is someone with all the relevant NPTC units. As you progress and start passing and working through your RFS, ISA Tech Cert etc then I think you can call yourself an arborist. An arborist without these qualifications/knowledge is a tree surgeon. :001_smile:

That's the way I understand it to be also John.