When does a person become a "tree surgeon"?

Perkins

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically

Is A tree surgeon a person, to whom someone else will happily pay a fee to carryout work to their own tree ?

yes.

and judging by the standard of work I saw one firm produce today the clients need to be inspected for insanity.

I'm going back that way tomorrow to see if the 3 metre hung up branch is still over the road or in the road.

Well, I was going to try and summarise the general opinion :scared1: but frankly I think that's a job for an uber-geek. I never expected such a response. Wow!

Some very interesting points of view here, but I think most of us should stop using the forum until we've got a few more years experience and can call ourselves arborists :001_tongue:

Seriously though it's been educational finding out the general consensus amongst the professionals. Thank you all for your input.:thumbup1:

I'de agree that pigeonholing ourselves is a bad thing, but advertising requires it unfortunately.

I'de also agree that experience is a massive factor, and that qualifications are just the beginning.

I guess the most important things a 'tree worker' needs are the right attitude, background information / training and the opportunity to learn, along with a few choice bits of machinery.

**** knows what I'm going to write on my business card.

NPTC tickets or any other tickets mean sod all, only years on the job makes the real difference,

aye agree with that a was always told nptc tickets are like a driving licence your trained to pass your test but you dont start learning till you pass your test

Customer say's "so what qualifies you to tell me what branches need to come off my tree for its own well being". Your reply can't just be that you are competent to use a chainsaw or climb a tree, or perform aerial rescue, or fell big trees, or dismantle trees in sections and have certificates to prove it. Your reply cant really use experience, "oh, I've done it loads of times".

Sometimes, depending on the client you may need formal qualifications to back up your claims of expertise (i.e letters after your name).

So what you I refer to my job descripton as, depends heavily on whom I am speaking to. If I were filling a form for doctor or car insurance etc,then I'm an Arborist.(looks posh).

In all other cases I am a qualified climber who works on trees.

I would say if a question like that was asked that over the years i have worked on thousands of trees and i have learnt the effects of my work many years after therfore i know what is the least destructive method to acheive your expectations.

Aswell as being taught and teaching myself through learning.

But good point tho.

In a nutshell your a tree surgeon when you cut trees period. Your a professional when you have qualifications and an understanding of why and what your doing and its long term effects.

IMO.:001_cool: