the 'todays job' thread

WoodED

a bit more here spec and budget!
s-l400.jpg WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
61plate valtra T202 versu 50k 3571hrs. forestry rims and nokian forestry tyres 70% tread these alone are 9k new. this... , I guess been used for mulching flail , but has the benefit of having gearbox and pto bits replaced

She’s a beaut.

1 hour ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

She’s a beaut.

On reflection it is a 10 year old mulcher tractor (pretty much the hardest work you can give a tractor) that has already had a massive repair bill (and a lot of paintwork). And they still want £45k. It’s probably worth something like that, but I’d be looking around in Europe for similar spec/age to see what else is out there before reaching for the chequebook personally. 

• Like 2

What do you want it for ? Pulling or actual working in the woods ? For woods tractors i would be looking at N101’s to N120’s or older 6400’s those bigger valtras although they are great at pulling are thirsty and are not manoeuvrable in the woods even the 101 is remarkably harder to negotiate a Wöod thinning in than 6400.... the older 6400’s seem to hold strong money have a good following and have little computers although the earths on some of the cab switch electrics can be grief as they age but easy and obvious to fix if you know ! The bigger six pots are great if all you do is clear fell but I would live with the 4 Potts if you didn’t have many hills and didn’t tow to much , I use a 101 and it is a little lacking bringing on home large loads of beech up hill... fine in the woods although I could live with the 6400 which is very versatile.

s-l400.jpg
WWW.EBAY.CO.UK
Valtra tractor 121 hi tech 
MX loader on joystick controls

10,200 hours

3 spools

40kph

good tyres all around

selling due to upgrade

viewing welcome

Vat to be added

I'd spotted that and thought what a lovely looking loader tractor, our 6pot T series is definitely not manovarable and takes some space especially with winch on front and extended botex on back, a friend has a N132 and palms trailer and can get places I have no hope but still a fair amount of go on the road.
Hywell Evans has a tidy looking 8050 for sale that's obviously been Duluxed but generally a very reliable tractor.

I recommend Valtra,  course most forestry tractors I drove were old shitters bolted up with steel plate, from the Case n MF stable that farmers got rid of. The 6800 was a joy to me. K

Edited by Khriss
Bonnet was a right arse tho ?

I would not mind a 8050 at all... those MX loaders are off in three minutes but takes about 15 to get the trailer hydraulics out the back window! ,ours has a loader and I rarely put it on but it has been great at the minute for carting around over sized stuff to the log sheds for splitting.
Don’t know if you will ever find the perfect tractor though, I would love to put a roof mount on the 6400 but ours is getting on and you could probably spend 5k or more sorting out any of its current issues and it will never be a decent road tractor although I think it actually feels nicer than the Ns on the road..if the our 6400 has had a hard life and if was as reliable as the 101 I would put the trailer on that and run the winch on the 101 and keep it as a loader tractor,log grab and winch would be handy for some of the over sized stuff.

• Like 1

Do you not think nostalgia plays a part with these older tractors though.... Surely there's some good better (newer) tractors out there that will.make life easier on site etc.

Should we be afraid of all these electrics and fancy transmissions? (I say yes but I await to hear what you.lot say lol )

Edited by swinny
  • Like 1

@Swinny  i would say grinding thru the woods on an old Zetor has its charm .... But it soon wears off  ( usually yr back first)  the modern tractor is fab and more power where you need it, but Valtras i have used are expensive to fix ( circuit boards 400 squid an that lovely curved rear glass window that PTOs love to take out  ? )  so swings n roundabouts   ?  K