Stopped by police

dig-dug-dan

3 hours ago, doobin said:

Tacho would only apply if over 3.5t gross weight vehicle, or if over 4250kg with trailer and not covered under an exemption. For example, the village baker's 3.5t delivery van doesn't need a tacho.

And it's 'hire or reward'....

I was informed by the ministry that a tacho is required if the gross train mass is over 3.5 tonnes there is no allowance for a trailer if vehicle and trailer weigh more than 3.5 tonnes tacho is required

• Like 1

Right on this topic. I will be towing a trailer from North of Scotland to South Wales do I need a Tacho? as part of my house move. Tow vehicle will be a Land Rover Hicap and trailer 12Ft Ifor, Total weight approx 6t.

This is not for hire or reward as it is my own personal move. L/R is insured for business use.

1 hour ago, htb said:

Right on this topic. I will be towing a trailer from North of Scotland to South Wales do I need a Tacho? as part of my house move. Tow vehicle will be a Land Rover Hicap and trailer 12Ft Ifor, Total weight approx 6t.

This is not for hire or reward as it is my own personal move. L/R is insured for business use.

No tacho required.

• Like 1

I'd take some paperwork just to prove you're moving tho. In theory you don't but if you're LR is sign written they could be arsey and waste a few hours.

Do know a guy that got pulled doing a regular trip with a trailer, those ANPR camera on the gantry were counting trips as it wasn't personal use.

Edited by GarethM
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, doobin said:

Tacho would only apply if over 3.5t gross weight vehicle, or if over 4250kg with trailer and not covered under an exemption. For example, the village baker's 3.5t delivery van doesn't need a tacho.

And it's 'hire or reward'....

Dont know of any 4250kg tacho exemption.

Under 3500kg exempt or over 3500kg needed it unless another exemption applies. Be that vehicle or vehicle & trailer the limit is still 3500kg. So a 3500kg vehicle towing a Halfords special 200kg trailer need tacho if carrying goods on trailer or in vehicle.

There is a small trailer exemption based on the unladen weight of the trailer BUT as soon as you are carrying "goods" that no longer applies. Plus thats for O licence.

3 hours ago, htb said:

Nope.

Until you move the business kit.

Then you do.

Just to muddy the waters you can be subject to drivers hours whilst exempt from a tachograph.

A commercial vehicle under 3.5t being used for a business (ie transit van) is subject to GB domestic drivers hours

WWW.GOV.UK

EU and GB domestic rules for drivers of goods vehicles and passenger-carrying vehicles

• Like 1