Overrated bands (musically speaking)

Mick Dempsey

Maybe I’ve been hard on a few bands.

One genius song like U2’s ‘One’ makes up for a lot of shite.

Even The Pogues have loads of songs I don’t like.

All of the bands previously mentioned in this thread are 1000% better than the crap that is currently out there though.

• Like 7

Bruce Springsteen and any band that had tour posters and T-shirt merch.

Bands like Def Lepard, Iron Maiden, White Snake etc.  I think it was more the kids listening to it that put me off.  Still it stopped me listening to that kind of music.

I love music, it has been the soundtrack of my life.  It isn’t so much as I dislike bands as I can appreciate a great tunes.  If I don’t like a tune I just don’t listen to it.  I mean my favourite band is the Grareful Dead yet I listen to Drum and Bass mostly.

The one genre I could never get into was the above mentioned bands along with Europe, Jon Bon Jovi etc.  I don’t know the true name for that genre, Hairspray Rock maybe or just utter shite.

Oh, and Axel Rose, Guns and Roses.  I see they have tried to make a few comebacks.  I wish that Ginger, Pock marked prick would stay where he is and never make a comeback.

I guess music is very subjective.  I love it and can appreciate a good tune from many different styles of music apart from the fore mentioned above.

• Like 3

I'd bid from current stuff Taylor Swift. I don't listen to her much, as far as I can tell she's not completely devoid of talent but it is baffling just how popular she is. Holding all of the top 10 US singles at the same time? Millions and millions of albums? Surely there's someone else writing songs?

Oasis

always thought they were very monotone and strummed basic cords on a guitar.

poplar mainly cause they gave the finger to the rest of the music industry at the time (not that they were the first to do this).

The fact that they made a successful career and lots of money aside but then there are always useless people that somehow make a fortune. 

Take a look at the vast "influencers " today. need i say any more?

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, jose said:

Oasis

always thought they were very monotone and strummed basic cords on a guitar.

poplar mainly cause they gave the finger to the rest of the music industry at the time (not that they were the first to do this).

The fact that they made a successful career and lots of money aside but then there are always useless people that somehow make a fortune. 

Take a look at the vast "influencers " today. need i say any more?

Agree, the music hasn’t aged that well. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

All of the bands previously mentioned in this thread are 1000% better than the crap that is currently out there though.

Don’t just complain about it. Rap about it. 

A4A992DF-08B1-43ED-9B90-ADB22D145579.thumb.png.284ce541aaed88ffe38210f6803a074b.png

My band’s second gig, this week.

• Like 3