Overrated bands (musically speaking)

Mick Dempsey

5 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I know what you mean, couple of good songs, great hair, died at a the right time.

Reminds me of a joke that done the rounds at school at the time.

Mark Bolan was on the radio today.................and the steering wheel, the windscreen and the dashboard.

• Haha 6

Led Zeppelin.

Technically brilliant............but as the songs go I think you needed to be stoned. Very overated, but liked by those 'thinking people' who think they were cool, because they weren't a mainstream 'pop' chart act. Which is fine....if the music was any good...which generally it wasn't

2 hours ago, pleasant said:

Led Zeppelin.

Technically brilliant............but as the songs go I think you needed to be stoned. Very overated, but liked by those 'thinking people' who think they were cool, because they weren't a mainstream 'pop' chart act. Which is fine....if the music was any good...which generally it wasn't

Brave man.

And I totally agree.

Like Floyd and Genesis.

A few nuggets of utter brilliance surrounded by utter shite.

• Like 2

I'll admit I'm struggling with the suggestion that Queen or Pink Floyd are overrated. I can only imagine Mark has favoured the wrong mind altering substance when listening to Floyd.

The Beatles however... some of the songs are ok when covered by others but I've never rated them. And Paul McCartney, hasn't he had an entire career based entirely on being a bit friendly with Lennon once?

Madness though, how they got beyond playing at the student union beats me.

Agreed.

Re, Duran Duran. I mostly ignored them in the 80s as a they were girly favourites.

A few years back I saw them on the recent reincarnation of TFI Fridays.

Simon le Bon was duetting with the lead singer of Eagles of Death Metal doing ‘Rio’ I think (a week before the Bataclan thing) they both started and Jesse Hughes was crap in comparison, and I realised SLB was actually a very good singer.

Subsequently I have listened to DD with new ears.

Underrated if anything.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3