Diesel heater for workshop

Mark Bolam

Trust me on this one, Mark. Get a Hcalory 5kw with Bluetooth, one of the only Chinese heaters that have a proper thermostat that actually turns the heater off when it reaches temperature and turns it back on when it’s needed, most Chinese heaters don’t have this function, they ramp down but don’t turn off. For a workshop I’d mount it outside and duct air intake as to recirculate heated air rather than pulling cold air in.

• Like 2

If it's an up and over door I'd get a couple of sheets of celotex and prop them against it with some battens and maybe dust sheets to cut draughts, even plywood. If heat is pouring out the door it's going to be difficult to heat the place evenly.

I used to work at a place where the workshop door was a garage up and over, we had a ply second door inside and the workshop could then be heated ok .

I have one similar to this,you might need a bigger one for your double garage as mine is in the box on the Mog.

Only gripe is the fuel lines were crap,they just degraded. Everyithng else has held up well.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Heater Power: 8KW. 1X 8KW Diesel Heater...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

The heat will piss out the roof anyway Dan, and I’m not insulating that.

Half my life is stored up in the trusses.

I had an office in the garage for one winter, made a cubicle from dust sheets stapled across the rafters and dropped down around the desk - was really surprised how well it worked. Also some carpet offcut so not standing on the cold concrete floor.

So even if you just stapled dust sheet across the rafters would make a lot of difference.

I also worked in a place once with a big gas heater from Machine Mart running off a bottle, was really effective, simple setup and no problem with smell etc. It was a bigger one of these

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-little-devil-2-propane-fired-space-heat/

I guess the running cost would be lower with diesel but surely you need to put part of it outside else it's going to smell of diesel?

If you're determined to heat rather than insulate, just don't tell @Big J

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Joe Newton said:

Who cares for a garage heater? Nobodies going to check. 

HMRC stopped my local garage selling red for a time as he wasn’t keeping proper records.  Now when he sells red he asks you for your name and address and what it is for.