That was eventful…

eggsarascal

14 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

I’m not best pleased

I can see why. I wasn't either when I was stopped with the quad. But when the fourth copper apologised after my rant and explained why (there'd been a shift change and they'd all just started with a bollocking about plant theft) I thought fair enough.

You could ask the reason at your local nick but whether they add to what you were already told.

I got pulled over by a traffic officer on the M62 a couple of years ago as his ANPR camera had flagged up my pickup (he was driving and not actively checking me, whatever system he had fitted must check all the plates going past him I guess). Apparently my vehicle (same model, colour and reg) had been used to steal something from a building site in Kent a few weeks prior, and I can only assume the reg was being looked for across the whole country (which I was quite impressed with!). 
Anyway, I was in Gran Canaria when the theft occurred and my pickup (only driven by me) was parked on my drive in Cheshire whilst I was away so it was obviously someone with cloned plates. The copper was really sound, and I didn’t worry about the half hour lost.

We went past a lone female cop down a dark country lane, 3 of us in a transit tipper, when we got to the yard she followed us right in to the bottom of the pitch black yard about 11pm at night.

Spent 20mins checking our details, phoning yard owner etc.  

All I thought was fair play to her, would have been easier for her to just carry on.  We could have got narky with her for wasting out time, but 3 chaps heading to a yard in a transit at 11 at night... not suspicious at all!🙈😅

That's what we pay them to do, check out anything dodgy.  Just move on, and hope that if the van gets nicked they stop it again!

Which has reminded me of a call my dad got at 3am from the police once... 'we've got your van mate'  no you haven't he said, its on my drive.  'Go and look out the window then'.  Sure enough it'd gone, they'd stopped it as it was driving suspiciously and found some paperwork of his in there🤣

• Like 7

Give them no help in the future, i know its petty but i get satisfaction from it. Was once held for 10 hours years ago for theft of a wallet and phone in a pub just before Christmas, never did it, i was nowhere near the place at the time but i was in the same small town, i had the same colour trainers and coat on as the person who did do it. I told them all this and to check the CCTV in the place i was at the time, they didnt believe a word, thrown in the back of a van and into a cell. Let out free to go eventually ten hours later at 7am on xmas eve five miles away from where i was picked up with no busses running till an hour later to get home. TWATS.

Used to do a regular grass cutting round and had my ride on ( Husqvarna 4 wheel steer , remember them ? ) on the back of my pickup . Once a week trip along the A27 to Lacing . One morning coppers come to my door , want to know what is under the tarp . My ride on mower I tell them . Copper goes to pull it up I say wait let me un hook the bungies first but no he keeps pulling and tears the eyelets out . He says someone had reported the tractor on the back of a pickup traveling on the A27 . I say yes , that was me . I go once a week to that sight and mow it . Ok they say and off they go . I go and buy another cover .

Having slept on it, it was one of the coppers attitude that riled me, he wasn’t interested in what I had to say, his only interest was seizing the van and nicking me, it got to the stage where he cuffed me and was about to put me in the back of his car, one of the other coppers (there was 3 of them) came over and spoke to the one who cuffed me and all of a sudden I was de arrested with no proper explanation. Anyway, when my mate has done the bodywork and the new trim is fitted it will be sold and someone else’s problem.

You're entitled to an explanation at the least even if all cop actions were done in good faith.

If the van has PNC markers on it they can be removed when they're no longer relevant as last night's episode should have made them - irrelevant.

Getting to the stage of cuffing you without you're knowing why sounds a bit strong but with due respect to you there are usually two sides to a story