Paying somebody in cash

Donnie

On 11/07/2023 at 18:04, eggsarascal said:

I don’t really want to turn this political so I’ll end my involvement in this part of the conversation here. In the last 13 years the right have tried to and to an extent have dismantled the NHS. It’s about time you stop blaming a political party that hasn’t been in power for the best part of a decade n half for the downfall of the NHS in England, and massive rises in taxes at the same time, I could go on, but I’ll not bother.

The NHS needs dismantling though. It’s not fit for purpose and has not been for decades, certainly since the Blair years. It’s a crippled system that’s is bloated with pink and blue haired middle management. The sooner it’s gone and we get what you alluded to earlier the better. You actually ask for this. 🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

The NHS needs dismantling though. It’s not fit for purpose and has not been for decades, certainly since the Blair years. It’s a crippled system that’s is bloated with pink and blue haired middle management. The sooner it’s gone and we get what you alluded to earlier the better. You actually ask for this. 🤣

NHS and what we should do with it should really be a thread on its own, everyone will have an opinion and thought, but since most of their employees arn't paid in cash kind of derails this thread quite a way - further than usual

On 11/07/2023 at 21:14, Johnsond said:

Start off as a diver in the inshore civil engineering side of things, progress to offshore air diving then after a certain period get your sat ticket done along with a multitude of other qualifications and hopefully you can get a start. No guarantees at all though and it’s very much dependent on how busy the industry is, who you know or the price of oil.etc etc  A good background trade in particular welding is a bonus for hyperbaric welding ( 3k a day) it’s not a good career for job security or families that’s for sure and to get up to the level of training required to do the job we are discussing is an outlay of maybe 40-50k over time. But no doubt about the rewards can be very good as is the buzz you get at times. One of my sons has just started in the game  against my wishes I might add but good luck to him 👍

No kids here, so not qualified to opine, but I will anyway:

It puzzles me on some level, why people who work/ed hard and dangerous jobs often want their kids to not follow in their trade.

Often read "I worked this crappy/risky job so my kids could have a "better" life"... between the lines, "better" usually means third level and a desk job. No dirt under the fingernails for my kids.

If one extends this trend... we end up with a nation full of third level white collar types and nobody to empty the bins, weld stuff on the seafloor, unblock the sewers, cut the trees etc.

Ok, import immigrants. Fine, but the immigrants also want their kids to have desk jobs. They cycle continues. Somewhere in the world people are expected to raise kids destined to empty bins for other people's kids.

Nobody wants their kids to empty bins, or put their life a risk, but the job needs doing and somebody's kid has to do it.

I know its sweeping generalities and stuff... And I get people not wanting their kids to put themselves at risk. Kind of interesting through..

• Like 3

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not going to be an issue. There are plenty of parents who take zero interest in what their kids do, plus there will be plenty of people that do fancy emptying bins, sweeping floors etc. Besides, once the tesla bot is readily available those jobs will be removed from the job centre board. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

back in Magi Thacher's days she wanted this country to go into IT and not industry because we could import stuff cheaper than make our own. all the kids went to collage for 5 or 6 years then qualified for their course, but the trouble was that things had moved on so Quickley they were not employable because lack of the present knowledge. Then there are the people that don't want to work it's in the 3rd generation now who know how to work the benefit system and are better off than the average working man/woman.       

11 hours ago, Mesterh said:

I wouldn't worry about it, it's not going to be an issue. There are plenty of parents who take zero interest in what their kids do, plus there will be plenty of people that do fancy emptying bins, sweeping floors etc. Besides, once the tesla bot is readily available those jobs will be removed from the job centre board. :)

What job centre boards are those? I work in some job centres and there are no boards in them: don’t believe me, go take a look, anyone is free to walk in.

It was it a figure of speech but I also assumed that they still had job boards up, although it has been 30 years since I last stepped into a job centre so I guess it's all a bit more modern now and the jobs are accessed through computers etc. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

No kids here, so not qualified to opine, but I will anyway:

It puzzles me on some level, why people who work/ed hard and dangerous jobs often want their kids to not follow in their trade.

Often read "I worked this crappy/risky job so my kids could have a "better" life"... between the lines, "better" usually means third level and a desk job. No dirt under the fingernails for my kids.

If one extends this trend... we end up with a nation full of third level white collar types and nobody to empty the bins, weld stuff on the seafloor, unblock the sewers, cut the trees etc.

Ok, import immigrants. Fine, but the immigrants also want their kids to have desk jobs. They cycle continues. Somewhere in the world people are expected to raise kids destined to empty bins for other people's kids.

Nobody wants their kids to empty bins, or put their life a risk, but the job needs doing and somebody's kid has to do it.

I know its sweeping generalities and stuff... And I get people not wanting their kids to put themselves at risk. Kind of interesting through..

Not hard to understand really, I’m more than happy for any of my 4 sons to do a trade or a hands on role or get dirty at work.  I’ve had two or 3 close calls over the years in the military and the diving and through I will openly admit a good dose of luck I’m still here. I’d not wish the mental stress of long periods away from home, missing your kids growing up and zero job security on anyone but it’s a choice I made way back. My wish for them is not to be in the situations I’ve been in based upon my own experiences if they choose to ignore the advice then so be it, I’ll then help them every way I can. I hope I never get the call I know at least 6 mothers and fathers of guys I’ve known have received over the last 30plus years doing this job.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Not hard to understand really, I’m more than happy for any of my 4 sons to do a trade or a hands on role or get dirty at work.  I’ve had two or 3 close calls over the years in the military and the diving and through I will openly admit a good dose of luck I’m still here. I’d not wish the mental stress of long periods away from home, missing your kids growing up and zero job security on anyone but it’s a choice I made way back. My wish for them is not to be in the situations I’ve been in based upon my own experiences if they choose to ignore the advice then so be it, I’ll then help them every way I can. I hope I never get the call I know at least 6 mothers and fathers of guys I’ve known have received over the last 30plus years doing this job.

We have a different outlook later on in life dave the boys see you as a good hard working grafter its only natural they want to follow in the same footsteps so to speak. I used to say to a few of my pals on the buildings to slow down a bit they were working 7 days a week now half of them are knackered in their fifties and no longer working. 

I reckon it all comes back to the old cliche of "Work/Life Balance". A very good point was made a page or two back, words to the effect that;- if you've enough money for everything you need, and most things you want, and you're fulfilled in what you do then that's enough. No point in killing yourself by working as many hours as you can, or sacrificing family time by taking jobs miles from home.

• Like 4