Right, wrong, or just playing the game?

eggsarascal

Mog the thick persons idea of a  clever person,  the torys  attempt at gerrymandering seems like it backfired which he admits in this article: 🙂

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The ex-minister suggests his party brought in the controversial measure to boost their election chances.

Edited by Stere
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Mark J said:

Should the age of consent. and that for joining the armed forces be raised to 21 too?

Interesting question. I see where you are going with this, and I would counter you by pointing out the existing rights that you currently gain when you turn 21. They all involve a very large amount of responsibility- adopting a child, supervising a learner driver and gaining your commercial pilots license. 

You could argue that voting is not as important as the above, and given our current shitshow of a system I’d be inclined to agree with you. What I would like, however, is a society where people take their civic responsibilities seriously, and as such I’d support PR with a voting age of 21 so that people would have some actual life experience rather than being swayed by parties (admittedly usually left wing, there’s my bias) promising freebies. 

I’d keep the age of enlistment at 16 with parents consent and 18 otherwise. The army is a great force for good in many otherwise troubled young lives. In recognition of their service to this country, I’d also have an exemption from the voting age for service members. You could of course then argue that public sector workers should be given earlier votes also, but I would limit to to those who sign up to risk their lives for this country. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, openspaceman said:

He is clever he just has a belief system that doesn't allow for the fact we live on a finite planet.

Ummm ........ fair point but it's a heavily flawed kind of cleverness that doesn't grasp the simple concept of finite vs. infinite. So, JRM could be clever, but severely limited by blinkered beliefs, at best. 

This brings to mind the wider question of the difference between clever and intelligent. Mr Google states;-

"""Intelligence: the ability to understand ideas, people and things. Cleverness: the ability to manipulate ideas, people and things."""
It's only one of many obviously, but by this definition then most of today's politicians are clever rather than intelligent.

2 hours ago, Stere said:

Mog the thick persons idea of a  clever person,  the torys  attempt at gerrymandering seems like it backfired which he admits in this article: 🙂

WWW.BBC.CO.UK

The ex-minister suggests his party brought in the controversial measure to boost their election chances.

Why does the left hate the idea of voter ID? What possible reasoning could there be to not enforce it? 

• Like 2