To all stump grinder operators

dangb93

Do you sometimes leave the control panel without switching the cutter wheel off? Then please read on…

I have done this thousands of times. Whether it’s to move a debris guard, reverse the machine away from the hole and rake clean, whether close revs down to speak to someone, or to walk forward and investigate something.  “I’ll keep away from it won’t I ?!”

I am here with mostly other peoples blood in my system and I’m able to sit write this due to Magpas paramedics, ambulance staff, members of the public, A and E staff etc

If I needed my left leg to write, this wouldn’t get written either. 

On the 11th November 2022 I set off on a normal Friday morning to take out some stumps. My wife said “you haven’t got a packed lunch” and I replied “I’ll be back by mid day, it’s not a huge job” I returned home not a few hours later, but a month later, disabled. 

I was busy grinding and the wind blew one of the debris screens over. I left the controls of my machine with the cutter wheel spinning and moved forward to stand the guard back up. Having stood the guard back up I turned to walk back to the controls and WHAAM. There was a sound like a canon firing, a blurred second of confusion and then I was lying on the ground. Dazed I looked down at my left leg which was smashed up with bones sticking out, bits of stringy flesh everywhere. I screamed at myself in my head “you stupid idiot, look what you’ve done”

I screamed for help again and again, my voice growing weaker and trying to compete with the sound of my Bandit ZT1844 still running, with my pfanner type c trousers flapping round and round in the machine. 

When I could almost no longer shout, a lady appeared and started screaming into her phone for an ambulance. She came off the phone and I shouted to her, explaining how to turn the machine off. I was terrified that someone else would get too close to it. 
At last, she found the key and silenced reigned. 

Then I looked down at my leg again. The blood was pouring out quicker than it could soak into the soil. I started realising that I was getting weaker and weaker by the second. I was dying. The horror of that moment, I will never be able to put into words. 

I screamed with what energy I had left for a tornequay. A bit of string. Anything. 

Two gentlemen ran up to me with a dog lead and we managed to get the bleeding slowed down. 

The paramedics arrived and got me into the ambulance. I could then relax a little. But not for long. 

Since then I have had 5 operations to try and save my leg. With a sixth due soon. 

My business is mothballed and I have no income. My business which I have spent the last 6 years working so hard for, putting everything into it. We have a 10month old baby and my wife can’t get back to work even part time because she is my carer.

The reason why I am sharing this is because I just hope that if even one person reads this, they change their working practice. Or put on their risk assessment switching off machine before leaving controls. I wouldn’t wish this on anyone.

I take full responsibility for my actions. But I know how many other people leave their cutter wheel engaged and walk around the machine. I’ve seen it. And like I started this article, I’ve done it a thousand times over. But one time is one time too many. Please please take time to work safely. 

Edited by dangb93
Minor corrections
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 18

Well done for putting words to your experience. 

Way,way back in the 1990s did a recreation for a tv show, of another contractor in a similar situation ( we had an identical machine - just without the blood spatter!). The make up team did an incredibly impressive job, (which never got shown as too graphic)  those scenes and terror are still easily brought into my mind even now almost 30 years later.

I wish you and your family the best recovery possible. 

Keep in touch with us all.

Thinking of you 

Shaun 

Edited by skc101fc
Spelling
  • Like 6

Horrendous for you but these things really are worth sharing, thanks.

I still think about a particular lad that had an accident with a top handle years ago and lost his life. His father wrote about the incident extensively with the intention of making people more aware. It's a real eye opener to hear a first hand account of something like this but it stays with you.

• Like 4

Wow, one lucky guy. Hope you make a good recovery in time and thanks for sharing your incident details with us. Some may call you stupid, but every one of us has taken a risk at one time or another just to be a little quicker, or not even giving it a second thought. I’m sure a few folk reading your post will stop and think about about being more cautious in future. Stay positive and I sincerely wish you and your family well for the future. Hope you keep us updated on your recovery journey, stay positive and don’t be afraid to ask for help, even if it’s just a chat on here.

• Like 5