Dealing with problem staff that don't listen

Chrissy

Slight derail but gotta post this...

So the young guy (21) who started in Aug was asked to drill and Eco plug a couple of small stumps. 15 mins later he comes back with drill,bit and plugs and asks "Can someone show me how to put the bit in the drill, i've never done it before?". I'm up a tree and can't believe he's asking this, it's just putting a drill bit into the chuck. I say for him to try working it out, and all you need is to undo, put it in and tighten it."

"which way do I undo it?" he asks.

FFS, really - I think.

"Please don't ask me which way you need to undo something!".

"have you never used a drill before?"

No he says.

21 and he has never used a drill. This guy is really testing my patience and I'm not sure he's cut out for Arb.

There have been a number of other similar issues!

12 minutes ago, jfc said:

So the young guy (21) who started in Aug was asked to drill and Eco plug a couple of small stumps. 15 mins later he comes back with drill,bit and plugs and asks "Can someone show me how to put the bit in the drill, i've never done it before?". I'm up a tree and can't believe he's asking this, it's just putting a drill bit into the chuck. I say for him to try working it out, and all you need is to undo, put it in and tighten it."

FFS, really - I think.

No he says.

21 and he has never used a drill. This guy is really testing my patience and I'm not sure he's cut out for Arb.

You should cut the lad a bit of slack, this is the modern day society in action.

I'm sure many here are of the age that they grew up with the phrase of "someone being so useless that they couldn't even wire a plug".

Nowadays no one is expected to wire a plug, indeed many places it would be frowned upon if you even suggested doing something in a way that required someone to wire a plug.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jfc said:

FFS, really - I think.

No he says.

That's a failing on your part rather than his I'm afraid. It might be common sense to just about everyone in a work site, but if the lads never been shown how to do something can you really blame him?

51 minutes ago, jfc said:

FFS, really - I think.

No he says.

Sign of the times I am afraid mate.

Bet he could sort any issues with your smart phone faster than you could drill those holes with a bit and brace.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

That's a failing on your part rather than his I'm afraid. It might be common sense to just about everyone in a work site, but if the lads never been shown how to do something can you really blame him?

Fair enough , but at 16 doing my A levels I had more hands on skills than this guy at 21. Partly my fault for assuming he would know how to put a bit in a keyless chuck, I'm pretty sure my 17yr daughter could do it, and she has no interest in doing a manual job. But she has used drills when younger, helping me do DIY. Just asked my 13yr old son. who described it perfectly - but he did say not many other kids his age would know that, as I have had him using drills before.

This guys dad is a tradesman as well though,  but not shown his son who is in a manual job, how to use tools.

Edited by jfc

9 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Sign of the times I am afraid mate.

Bet he could sort any issues with your smart phone faster than you could drill those holes with a bit and brace.

Yeah, you'd have thought it, but I had to sort his spreadsheet out for doing his hours on, so not great with IT either.

On a Games console I'm sure he is awesome compared to me (I never play computer games), but that's not what's needed in my job.

1 hour ago, jfc said:

FFS, really - I think.

No he says.

When it comes to chainsaw maintenance course how is going to tell him the clutch is left hand thread, best of luck 🤞

• Like 1
  • Haha 1