Dealing with problem staff that don't listen

Chrissy

Lovely stuff lads.

Back to the OP, it’s a common problem, the temptation to grab a decent armful and stuff it through is just too great.

As soon as you’re out of sight the sloppiness starts.

If they’re otherwise ok, and in todays job market, I’d avoid going nuclear.

Maybe next week when they get back earlyish take them both back to the house with a power washer and (hopefully) get it all off.

Don’t make like some big punishment, but show them someone has to sort it out.

• Like 2

@trigger_andy @Mull

50 posts on this thread and 31 of them are from you two. Ok the first two or 3 pages are slightly more relevant but then the thread descends into your usual pathetic game of slagging each other off. If you want to bicker do it through private messages rather than once again diluting a thread

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

14 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

@trigger_andy @Mull

50 posts on this thread and 31 of them are from you two. Ok the first two or 3 pages are slightly more relevant but then the thread descends into your usual pathetic game of slagging each other off. If you want to bicker do it through private messages rather than once again diluting a thread

Yes, out of order. My apologies 🙏.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Mull said:

Does that mean you’ve managed your staff wrong on more than one occasion 🤷‍♂️

I generally avoid the weekly sparring sessions between you and Andy but based on this thread it really does seem that you come on here regularly with no other purpose than to be a contrary-some ass and start a row.

Trolling at it's finest!

Edit as a side note, sometimes it is how you sell it.

We used to do quite a few through the house jobs in SE London and Kent.  At the quoting stage the guy would comment on how nice the decor was etc and that he would instruct us to put down tarps and plywood against the walls and we would do our best to keep it clean.  Then would add, if they went to the supermarket and grabbed a load of boxes and gaffer tape they could tape up door and corners just to be extra sure.  9 times out of 10 we would turn up with the ply board and tarps etc but entering the house it would be something like CSI crime scene.  All taped off, card board everywhere and plastic sheeting.  

It meant we would be able to crack I. A full pace, showed respect to their property with our efforts and help them remove the stuff they had put up.  Customers over the moon and we always got a tip.

Manage the customers expectations.  

ToO many companies just quote a job and then expect/let the lads get in with it.  

I have lost count of the number of jobs I went to with a dilapidated prefab in the garden with knackered asbestos roof.  Again sheets of ply laid in the roof and then you do t have to worry about repair or expensive fixes.  Same as for greenhouses.

Yet a bit of forethought and planning removes all the hassles.  Such as apologising to the customer, having to fix on their own time and thread like this asking advise on what others would do.

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I generally avoid the weekly sparring sessions between you and Andy but based on this thread it really does seem that you come on here regularly with no other purpose than to be a contrary-some ass and start a row.

Trolling at it's finest!

Why, thank you sir! Are you looking for a row?😀

33 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Work towards their strengths.

Get some sheets of ply and take them to jobs like that.  They work wonders propped up against a wall, by a window, on shed roofs etc.

I’ve been meaning to buy plastic boards for ages. What’s thick enough to run a micro skidder on and thin enough to bend round a house corner?