Truck heater

woody paul

One of these on a timer in the footwell timed to come on an hour before you need the truck.

Doesn't have to be on long or at max power.

WWW.TOOLSTATION.COM

• 3 heat settings • Adjustable thermostat • Safety over heating protection safety tip over switch • Power indicator light • Power cord wrap

8 hours ago, jose said:

probably better with one of those small diesel engine cab heater things.

My mate has one and it really does seem to do the job. Can even get remote start so preheats it before you even get to the vehicle and as its its own engine i gather other than a small amount of current to start its otherwise independent of the trucks system and killing the battery.

Hi Jose, I would've thought you'd still want a leisure battery with a split charge system to avoid running the main battery down, which is the reason I haven't done it.

I'd love to be corrected on that though. 

1 hour ago, eggsarascal said:

Cheap Chinese diesel heater with remote, turn it on before you get out of bed.

Have you got one? I'd like to know of anyone's experiences. 

39 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Do a search for Webasto.  That is the name of the diesel heaters here in Norway.

I did a quick search and there were Uk suppliers.

Website or Eberspacher were the two top tier brands providing these, until the Chinese bought in equivalents at a tenth of the price. 

A webasto would be the best part of a grand to have fitted. That's a lot of diesel money that could do the same job.

I read a while ago that our government were planning to fine people who left their cars idling on the drive, so I've just been driving with zero vision through an iced windscreen instead. Don't want to risk a fine now!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, doobin said:

You'd be better off investigating why your truck won't keep you warm at tickover.

5 hours ago, woody paul said:

It is a landy we are talking about. 

That's that investigated then. 

I've got a landy too, would be great if there is a good answer apart from work indoors - which by coincidence is what I've mostly done this week.

• Haha 1

I fitted a genuine eberspacher to a transit I was using as a basic camper. I did a "proper job" which involved raising the entire van on various lumps of wood, then dropping the fuel tank to get to the outlet on the top of the tank to get a feed in. The thought at the time was you wouldn't have to fiddle about filling up a small tank that only runs the heater. If I was doing it again I would just use a separate tank! Jerry can would do.

You could run the heater on red but they use very little diesel. It was hooked up to a leisure battery and a split charge relay, you could run that heater all night.

They are fantastic heaters but probably a bit overkill for sitting there whilst you eat your sarnies.

Any electric heater running off 12v is either going to be hopeless, or need welding cables to wire it up.

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

Are the flames supposed to be aimed at the inside of the windscreen or back into the cab?

:laugh1:

The flames in the op picture come from the overheated fuse and wiring :afraid: