It's poll time 😊 This week it's about your age when you started in Arb 🌳

KateH

It's poll time 😊 This week it's about your age when you started in Arb 🌳  

33 members have voted

1. 1. How old were you when you started out in Arb?

• 0-20 yeas old
    • 21-30 years old
    • 31-40 years old
    • 41-50 years old
    • 50+

Hi all, time for another question... we're grateful to all who can take a moment to let us know the number of rings on your tree when you started out.

If you have any comments to add about your age, your journey in arb or anything else please do 😊

Many thanks, Kate & Beccy πŸ‘πŸŒ³

20211204_125728.thumb.jpg.4b829b4b58e1b11252e7ab696650eefd.jpg

Edited by KateH

Grew up helping my dad do firewood and getting sent up trees to tie a big rope on for the tractor. Β Made my first coin at 14 pruning a big cherry tree for an old guy called Mr Grant, he just pointed and that’s where I cut. Did my felling ticket at 19, mucked about on garden small trees until I was 22 then bought my first harness and spikes and went from there teaching myself in the woods around my shack. Β Word got about I was the lad who cut trees, got my first job that year for a tree surgeon, lasted 5 weeks as he was an idiot, then got a start as a climber for a better company and that was it, 6 months there on the dead elms then started myself in 1999. Β Finally did my climbing tickets in 2008. Β Still on the saw and climbing when I can’t get the young ninja subby out. Β But prefer sitting in a machine now.47 now.

• Thanks 1

Started hedge laying at about 12 at a local scout camp. Got the bug for trees etc. Started working and getting formal training at 16. Got climbing tickets at 18, and retired from arb work at 38. I now stand behind a counter flogging chainsaws and climbing gear, talking shite about jobs gone by. Generally complaining about how much my body aches now I've stopped climbing and getting fat. So retired life's not treating me to bad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1