Latvian firewood

Transport is probably even cheaper due the it being at the end of its trip from China.

It's one of the reasons we in the UK started building brick houses using Flemish bricks as they couldn't sail empty ships back to the UK.

Edited by GarethM

7 minutes ago, josharb87 said:

Here in Sweden, those that know, especially in the middle of the country (according to the map), are cautious to use the wood-ash in farming or food production because after Chernobyl “dirty” clouds travelled over here, and rained. 

A very good friend lives in Helsinki.

For a long time they were advised against local produce and fish as those very same, dirty clouds had rained.

I am not sure if that is still the case.

3 hours ago, Drex2001 said:

Been burning Latvian kiln dried logs from Home Bargains, they appear to be contaminated by something radioactive, The ash is reading a CPM of 56-70 the ash from my uk logs only reads about 15 -20 CPM, I’ve read that the logs give out a much higher reading once burned than they do whole, It’s a bit worrying to say the least 

Then don’t buy them and support your local firewood seller? 🤷‍♂️

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Brazil nuts - was surprised when I found out those are higher than you'd expect.

Selenium. I saw it on a clip from House (television programme) that youtube punted at me yesterday. Looked at the back of a pack of Brazil nuts at a mate's house earlier this evening and, lo and behold, there's a daily allowance.

We just hope that there's an exclusion zone now around your place because of risk of fire-borne radiation release!  In 2009 10,000 tonne of contaminated wood pellets was withdrawn from the Italian market - the pellets were from Latvia, contaminated wood from Belarus has thought to have also been exported to Europe in the past. Briquettes, BBQ coals as well as firewood from Eastern Europe have been found to have high levels of radiostrontium, that plus a minimum wage of about £2.89/hr (average for forestry £5.88) for Latvia probably has something to do with the price level however if you were to purchase loose firewood from a local supplier rather than bagged from Homebargins it is likely to be cheaper as a pallet of kiln dried birch logs from Homebargins costs £349.99 for 64 bags (<30l each bag), so possible not more than 1,920 m3 stacked or about 3.34m3 loose which would work out at about £105 per loose m3 which is not more than some local producers are selling hardwood at furthermore as the wood from Homebargins is birch and if local firewood sold was beech, ash or oak as well as sycamore you would get more kWh of heat from it as well.

• Like 5

I should also ask if that's alpha or beta radiation. Coal ash is actually radioactive, but as with all things in life, common sense and you'll be fine.

I have been into a nuclear power stations in the past, same place 1st time just in standard overalls and the 2nd full on suit and respirator.

Only difference was airborne dust.