Refilling fuel cans

GLynch

3 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

Think this could be a milk/tea discussion. I always put the fuel in first as I don't want the oil to stick to the bottom of the can, rather it swirled around as it drops in.

Then I put it in the back of my Landrover and drive home, always reckon that gives it a shake too.

How is the oil going to stick to the bottom when you blast it with fuel from the pump ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coppice cutter said:

My guess is that with the recent hot weather the can has expanded a bit.

Wouldn't have to swell much to lower the level noticeably.

This is the answer I'm pretty sure. The can hasn't so much expanded as just changed shape, got rounder. It happens with time anyway but the recent heat waves have accelerated the process. I know because I have exactly the same Combi can as in the OP photo and have noticed that over the years the 5ltrs of alkylate fuel I put in is lower and lower down the scale. As the can gets more and more round/fat.

Edited by sime42
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, GarethM said:

When you use on average a gallon a week spread over a year it's ok. With the E10 fuel I keep as little as possible on site as it goes off.

Just as a point of interest as regarding fuel going off, I recently had occasion to start a home owner Mcculloch

saw that had been lying full of fuel for about 8 years.

It was bought by a couple that live near to me to use for firewood but he turned out to a danger to himself and although she is hardy but has a small frame couldn't start the thing and they bought a corded electric saw instead.

Anyway when they bought it I'd advised using fuel stabiliser and they got Briggs and Stratton Fuel Fit which from memory claims to protect fuel for 3 years .. so I was expecting to at least replace the fuel and I poured it into a jug took a look at it put it back in the saw which then started 2nd pull and ran perfectly.

So a bit of a testament to the Fuel Fit product I'd say although it would have been E5.👍

• Like 1

I agree it is more likely to be the can that is wrong.  

BUT I had an experience many years ago when I filled a one gallon can with paraffin and the pump registered 7.5 litres.  I went in to pay and pointed out the error and the owner said that the pump often was wrong at certain times of the year when it had not been used for a while.  We estimated the correct amount and I paid accordingly!