Energy costs

eggsarascal

I have those . Had them and others for 5 + years . Still good . A little surface rust on the spring is all . They live out by the way .
How much did you have to pay for them? They were £58 I think for 125 at that place that@Stere found. I know they should be a one off purchase but that still seems a bit steep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eggsarascal said:

I can understand why people use tumble dryers, peoples life's are busy and they need to get things done in a rush, fortunately I don't fall into that category.

To be fair, it's not like you have to stand and watch the stuff dry, peg it out and away you go.

Tumble dryers are pretty sore on the amps, surely if people are struggling to pay their bills, it wouldn't be that much bother to go to in order to save a few quid?

Just sayin'.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

To be fair, it's not like you have to stand and watch the stuff dry, peg it out and away you go.

Tumble dryers are pretty sore on the amps, surely if people are struggling to pay their bills, it wouldn't be that much bother to go to in order to save a few quid?

Just sayin'.

In my house we use a tumble drier only for all the small stuff which is a pain to hang out.  Our washing line gets plenty of use.  We use wooden pegs, and they are at least 30 years old.  I know the plastic ones are rubbish but wooden ones are cheap and last ages if you don't leave them out in all weathers...

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

Just sayin'.

I understand where you are coming from and due to the way I live I have to watch how I use energy, what do folks do when it's raining and the kids school uniform needs washing and drying for the morning? Life for some folk isn't as easy as you make it sound.

• Like 1

Our granddaughter lives with us and is at that age of trying on different outfits before going out. I once caught her slinging the unwanted but clean clothes straight in the wash basket just because she'd tried them on for two seconds and rejected them.

Words were said.

It took a few times before those words got through! She now is well trained or at least doesn't let me see unnecessary clean clothes piled up for washing! Again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Lets hope one day in the not too distant future this technology comes to fruition 

The experimental Joint European Torus has doubled the record for the amount of energy made from fusing atoms — the...

One thing I find amusing is that the picture above is actually a mock-up (I have walked around in it). This is because the real thing, which is about a hundred yards away, is highly radioactive. When I looked around it the insulation was off and I stood as close to the core as it is safe to do so. When it is fired up, it uses a huge amount of electricity. Didcot power station was originally supposed to power it but they realised that all the lights in middle-England would dim at once if they did, so instead it has its own motor/generator. This consists of a pit about 10m deep in which there is a flywheel made of steel laminates, about 20m across which a cross-section about 1mx0.5m from memory. This is spun up by the motor and then switched so that the motor becomes a generator, dumping all the energy nearly instantaneously. I haven't seen this done, but I have walked around under the flywheel. The whole pit is kept warm and smells of the warm oil which is used to stop the laminates from rusting. 

We have done quite a lot of work on this over the years (and for its successor ITER), including some involvement in the new components which allowed it to double its output.

Alec

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1