Energy costs

eggsarascal

On 08/02/2022 at 14:15, openspaceman said:

When I helped out at the energy cafe a bloke brought two ordinary bikes there and sat the back wheels on rollers each  attached to the motors from 24V electric scooters. A relay of pairs of legs kept the sound system going (which I didn't see as I went home to bed). I wish I had one at home now as the free electricity may incentivise me to take the exercise.

I've long since thought that gyms are missing a trick in that if all their exercise machines generated power and were linked to the grid  they'd make a bit of cash, not that I've ever been in one.. but it would be the free harvesting of energy from locked up blubber and a power source our dear governance is missing out on.

The one lesson I got from school physics was that energy is conserved but it's never been more visible😁

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Macpherson said:

I've long since thought that gyms are missing a trick in that if all their exercise machines generated power and were linked to the grid  they'd make a bit of cash, not that I've ever been in one.. but it would be the free harvesting of energy from locked up blubber and a power source our dear governance is missing out on.

The one lesson I got from school physics was that energy is conserved but it's never been more visible😁

Is it not Electricity that powers most of these machines? 

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Is it not Electricity that powers most of these machines? 

Yep, It certainly seems to power the pushbikes that so many of these 'fit' folk use for 'exercise'... 

But I get what you mean about gyms after a bit of mind jiggling.... I've never been in one , but I guess the machines are all powered, the fatties would be better off on a big hamster wheel getting the feed in tariff to pay for their membership😄

• Like 1

Yep, It certainly seems to power the pushbikes that so many of these 'fit' folk use for 'exercise'... 

But I get what you mean about gyms after a bit of mind jiggling.... I've never been in one , but I guess the machines are all powered, the fatties would be better off on a big hamster wheel getting the feed in tariff to pay for their membership[emoji1]

Gyms are never going to be net producers of electricity but they could surely move more towards being self-sufficient at least in terms of energy needs. Their function is to facilitate human exercise. Which is basically just the transfer of energy from a chemical form, fat, to other forms such as heat and motion. These could then be harnessed or transfered to another form; electricity.

All those machines don't have to be powered from an external source, they could be fitted with an alternator to allow the action of the user pedalling/running/rowing/lifting to generate enough electricity to run a few lights or a screen or whatever. (Or giant hamster wheel if you like!)

In a similar vein. Where's the sense in all those overweight people driving to the gym? They'd be far better off walking, running or cycling there. (They'd also save all that fuel and reduce all the pollution the rest of us have to breath in.) Then the car parks could be better utilised as spaces to install solar panels, ground source heat pumps, wind turbines, micro-nuclear reactors, plant biomass ........... as appropriate!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sime42 said:

Gyms are never going to be net producers of electricity but they could surely move more towards being self-sufficient at least in terms of energy needs. Their function is to facilitate human exercise. Which is basically just the transfer of energy from a chemical form, fat, to other forms such as heat and motion. These could then be harnessed or transfered to another form; electricity.

All those machines don't have to be powered from an external source, they could be fitted with an alternator to allow the action of the user pedalling/running/rowing/lifting to generate enough electricity to run a few lights or a screen or whatever. (Or giant hamster wheel if you like!)

In a similar vein. Where's the sense in all those overweight people driving to the gym? They'd be far better off walking, running or cycling there. (They'd also save all that fuel and reduce all the pollution the rest of us have to breath in.) Then the car parks could be better utilised as spaces to install solar panels, ground source heat pumps, wind turbines, micro-nuclear reactors, plant biomass ........... as appropriate!

I was just having a laugh, but at least 30 years ago me and a mate of mine thought that these machines could have been used to generate power, seems just a waste otherwise... the exercise that I take when working at least transforms my energy into something useful [ hopefully ]