Shifting Brash

Paddy1000111

13 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

I can't believe what i'm reading! Our expert friend Scottish Cleaning Service became a millionaire with nothing but a wee chipper and an insatiable appetite for talking utter bollocks!

They're clearly the key to success.

You're right, obviously we're just too agricultural to get the best out of the wee one. In the right hands tho...

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

You're right, obviously we're just too agricultural to get the best out of the wee one. In the right hands tho...

Not all of us are destined for greatness. ☹

7 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

I'd much rather wheel chip than drag brash. Especially if it's a fancy garden. I find dragging much harder on the back, less ergonomic. Plus there's the mess brash leaves behind. 

Each to their own.

Could you not just tell them how great it is to have a habitat piles?

Personally i'd rather use a wee chipper and blast it into wheelbarrows and wheel it out to the van. Drag like that are a pain and leave an awful mess.

Had one like that a while ago, through 3 gardens (fence panels out) that was like an obstacle course then down an alleyway and out to the road. The brash was half the size by the time it reached the chipper.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's becoming most of my jobs too. Tomorrow is a largish bay prune and 2 other trees to be taken out through the house. 

The job with the leylandii is annoying. I went to quote it and the neighbour seemed nice and was happy for it to be removed through their side. I gave a lower price because I could park the chipper 15ft from the tree but the customer has now decided that they want it taken through their garden and not from the neighbors side (asking at the same price) so I'm tempted to just stick a load of £ on it and not do it. I get the feeling I'm the only one who quoted a sane price because of the easy access from next door where the other guys quoted for removal through the garden. I think I'll just go higher with the quote to the point where I probably won't get it and if I do it will make it okay and I'll throw the guys some more money too 

7 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I'd much rather wheel chip than drag brash. Especially if it's a fancy garden. I find dragging much harder on the back, less ergonomic. Plus there's the mess brash leaves behind. 

Each to their own.

Could you not just tell them how great it is to have a habitat piles?

I would too but pushing a loaded barrow ( Which will have the obligatory flatish tier ) through deep gravel is a work out ..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

So recently I've had more enquires for domestic work where its a tree at the end of the ornate garden and all the bits have to be removed. Logs are easy to handle with barrows etc but does anyone have any hints/tips for brash? I've got a small/medium Leylandii to remove (about 30ft) but bulky as hell and the access size is a wheelbarrow/walkway so large dumpy bags are no good. I've got loads of the green waste dumpy bags 40x40x60 size which are great but I want to make life easier for the groundies if I can?

Wots wrong with a helicopter.😁

(Bring on the cargo drones perhaps?)

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I went to quote it and the neighbour seemed nice and was happy for it to be removed through their side. I gave a lower price because I could park the chipper 15ft from the tree but the customer has now decided that they want it taken through their garden and not from the neighbors side (asking at the same price) so I'm tempted to just stick a load of £ on it and not do it.

Definitely requote at a higher price now. It would make me wonder if there is a bit of friction behind the scenes between the neighbour and customer, and we all know that often ends up making our job more difficult.

• Like 3