Red diesel

Baldbloke

No it shouldn't be white for propulsion of a narrowboat, if it was how would people people get white to the boat?

So narrow boats only run on red?

Then how do you define a pleasure boat or narrow boat. If someone hires a narrow boat for a weekend jaunt surely that is purely pleasure.?

Edit Ok. The post about 60/40 wasn't there when I posted. Must have been typing at the same time. So you pay duty on red. OK

6 hours ago, Squaredy said:

In the grand scheme of things what is the logic of having cheap diesel for running tractors, commercial boats, generators, etc, etc, etc.  We are unlikely to look for cleaner methods whilst red diesel is cheap and plentiful...

I generally agree with you but red gasoil is used for heating alone in big installations that use pressure jet burners, e.g.places like hospitals where there is no gas main. So to be fair electricity and mains gas would have to be taxed. One thing is sure we are going to be taxed a lot more in the future to pay of the hole in the public purse.

It's already illegal to trade red diesel without the proper licence

6 minutes ago, muttley9050 said:

Then how do you define a pleasure boat or narrow boat. If someone hires a narrow boat for a weekend jaunt surely that is purely pleasure.?

Narrowboats have one tank for red diesel which is used for propulsion and heating etc, you pay full duty on 60% of diesel for propulsion, the other 40% for heating etc is duty free.

Edited by eggsarascal
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, muttley9050 said:

If you live full time on the boat it is the same as any home, if you are moored up in a marina you can hook up to the shore power but otherwise you have to to heat and light with fossil fuels. The generator is used to charge batteries as well as hot water from the coolant. Most boats use smokeless coal for the space heating with wood when you can find any suitably dry.

Because there is limited space there is only one fuel tank, one water tank and one shit tank all of which are filled or emptied at points along the network.

Why should anyone use cheap red diesel?  Abolish it and save a whole raft of bureaucracy.  If we are all agreed that burning fossil fuels is so harmful let's not subsidise it! 

In the grand scheme of things what is the logic of having cheap diesel for running tractors, commercial boats, generators, etc, etc, etc.  We are unlikely to look for cleaner methods whilst red diesel is cheap and plentiful...

By the way I am talking as someone who does use red diesel at work, but I would be more than happy to pay for white diesel if there was no choice.  My petrol for my mills and chainsaws is full price petrol after all.

Really don’t agree ! How are you supposed to maintain a sensible price for food production or forestry paying full duty on fuel ...
We power our electricity on red when there is no wind or sun and quite frankly would be fecked without it along with most of my neighbours who are miles from any electricity connections pylons etc...
  • Like 3

Red is not subsidised fuel. Its fuel without road duty. Road duty is or at least was a tax added to fuel in order to help fund the roads. The real question should be why is there no red petrol?

If there is any industry that's being subsidised it's aviation.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

When I ran a diesel car for 12 years or so I was never dipped and I don't know anyone who has around here. Plenty of red diesel about, not all if farm machinery, plant or genies I expect.

I also don't understand crops such as forage beat if money is so tight for farmers. Muck is spread daily for about 4 months, with tractors driving a mile each way, then slurry and god knows what else, then spraying about 20 times whilst it gorws. Then a harvester can drive a 30 mile round trip to harvest them. Diesel must be very cheap for some.

• Like 1

Well said Matty.

Squaredy you are talking like a townie who drives a Prius and thinks they are saving the planet without giving enough thought to where the electricity comes from.

Do you have any idea how much diesel a big arable farm gets through in a year?

Oh great, they can just all go out and buy a Tesla combine and the price of food will stay the same.

Really simplistic, badly thought out post.  

Just because the government want to fuck everyone over who actually works for a living doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a good idea.

• Like 13

12 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

When I ran a diesel car for 12 years or so I was never dipped and I don't know anyone who has around here. Plenty of red diesel about, not all if farm machinery, plant or genies I expect.

I also don't understand crops such as forage beat if money is so tight for farmers. Muck is spread daily for about 4 months, with tractors driving a mile each way, then slurry and god knows what else, then spraying about 20 times whilst it gorws. Then a harvester can drive a 30 mile round trip to harvest them. Diesel must be very cheap for some.

How would you grow forage beet then Paul?

Fairy dust?

• Like 2