Red diesel

Baldbloke

I’m hearing something about constraining the use of the red stuff by 2022. Presumably we’ll still be able to get access to it with agricultural numbers?

Can anyone summarise what restrictions there’ll be over its use, and what requirement will need to be seen for ordering it?

21 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

I’m hearing something about constraining the use of the red stuff by 2022. Presumably we’ll still be able to get access to it with agricultural numbers?

Can anyone summarise what restrictions there’ll be over its use, and what requirement will need to be seen for ordering it?

I have heard all sorts of different ways its going to be done, but one thing i will say is it will be complicated as with every thing else in this day and age, one way of doing it was to do away with red all together, farmers and who ever else buys red at present will have to buy white and then they claim the duty back, doing it this way as i see it will cause a massive problem as farms will become the garage forecourt, as i am sure some farmers will sell the white diesel above what they are paying for it but below pump price to make a few quid out of it, personally i will just wait to see what happens as what is said now will more than likely change several times before the time comes,

• Like 2

Why should anyone use cheap red diesel?  Abolish it and save a whole raft of bureaucracy.  If we are all agreed that burning fossil fuels is so harmful let's not subsidise it! 

In the grand scheme of things what is the logic of having cheap diesel for running tractors, commercial boats, generators, etc, etc, etc.  We are unlikely to look for cleaner methods whilst red diesel is cheap and plentiful...

By the way I am talking as someone who does use red diesel at work, but I would be more than happy to pay for white diesel if there was no choice.  My petrol for my mills and chainsaws is full price petrol after all.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

Why should anyone use cheap red diesel?  Abolish it and save a whole raft of bureaucracy.  If we are all agreed that burning fossil fuels is so harmful let's not subsidise it! 

In the grand scheme of things what is the logic of having cheap diesel for running tractors, commercial boats, generators, etc, etc, etc.  We are unlikely to look for cleaner methods whilst red diesel is cheap and plentiful...

By the way I am talking as someone who does use red diesel at work, but I would be more than happy to pay for white diesel if there was no choice.  My petrol for my mills and chainsaws is full price petrol after all.

I guess the aim of duty free red diesel for farming and fishing is its a way to subsidise food. Without it food prices will go up and that will impact the poorest the most. It's more discreet than simply giving benefits 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Woodworks said:

I guess the aim of duty free red diesel for farming and fishing is its a way to subsidise food. Without it food prices will go up and that will impact the poorest the most. It's more discreet than simply giving benefits 

Its not just farming and fishing that uses red diesel. This country charges enough duty as it is without hiking up the price yet again and it will have an impact on everything. Construction and engineering industries are massive in the uk and they use red diesel. Public train transport also runs on cherry 

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 5

4 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Its not just farming and fishing that uses red diesel. This country charges enough duty as it is without hiking up the price yet again and it will have an impact on everything. Construction and engineering industries are massive in the uk and they use red diesel. Public train transport also runs on cherry 

Makes sense for public transport IMO. The one that gets me is pleasure craft using red/marine diesel .  Some years back my dad used to sail and he filled up his tank for the engine (around 25litres). We had to wait for the "pleasure craft" in front to finish which took some time. It was a very large power boat and when we got the pump they had had 10000 litres to fill it up! 10000 litres in duty free fuel for luxury motor boat is truly insane. 

• Like 2

I have heard all sorts of different ways its going to be done, but one thing i will say is it will be complicated as with every thing else in this day and age, one way of doing it was to do away with red all together, farmers and who ever else buys red at present will have to buy white and then they claim the duty back, doing it this way as i see it will cause a massive problem as farms will become the garage forecourt, as i am sure some farmers will sell the white diesel above what they are paying for it but below pump price to make a few quid out of it, personally i will just wait to see what happens as what is said now will more than likely change several times before the time comes,

[emoji1303]Farms becoming the new official forecourts sounds more stupid than the present arrangements. I don’t use a great deal but enough to ensure it makes it worthwhile to buy Diesel engined mowers/diggers and tractors for my small holding. I’m not vat registered or anything so if it came down to claiming back the extra i probably wouldn’t bother. Funnily enough I just bought an immaculate 1960s oil tank to hold another 1000 litres yesterday. Shame modern diesel fuel doesn’t store long term.[emoji849]IMG_1618501273.039243.jpg
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Woodworks said:

Makes sense for public transport IMO. The one that gets me is pleasure craft using red/marine diesel .  Some years back my dad used to sail and he filled up his tank for the engine (around 25litres). We had to wait for the "pleasure craft" in front to finish which took some time. It was a very large power boat and when we got the pump they had had 10000 litres to fill it up! 10000 litres in duty free fuel for luxury motor boat is truly insane. 

Fuel for propulsion of a power boat is not duty free.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

emoji1303.pngFarms becoming the new official forecourts sounds more stupid than the present arrangements. I don’t use a great deal but enough to ensure it makes it worthwhile to buy Diesel engined mowers/diggers and tractors for my small holding. I’m not vat registered or anything so if it came down to claiming back the extra i probably wouldn’t bother. Funnily enough I just bought an immaculate 1960s oil tank to hold another 1000 litres yesterday. Shame modern diesel fuel doesn’t store long term.emoji849.pngIMG_1618501273.039243.jpg

Needs to be bunded now.

• Like 3