Excessive bar wear

the village idiot

19 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Yup, thanks Rob.

Have tried numerous new bar and chain combo's but never the holy trinity.

Aha that could be the issue indeed... I never used to do it like I should of done when full time on the tools - but now I see the warranties come in it's such a crucial thing to do.

Rims are ok to get - some of the drive sprockets are hard work to get from suppliers though... really should have a spare to hand for each saw if you can.

1 hour ago, spudulike said:

That looks like the wear you get  just before the sprocket when running a chain too loose but never seen it that far down a bar before.

Possible that you have a pinch on the bar causing a tight spot. 

🤣 I think it's more like the wear you get from running a ported saw into an embedded bit of wrought iron 🙄

• Like 1

TVI  if you have changed the sprocket to make chain run faster then perhaps the  extra centrifugal force at the tip / sprocket is causing more oil to be flung off reducing the amount in bar / chain at point of cutting ( just before the oiler )  and try mineral oil ...

Edited by devon TWiG
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, devon TWiG said:

TVI  if you have changed the sprocket to make chain run faster then perhaps the  extra centrifugal force at the tip / sprocket is causing more oil to be flung off reducing the amount in bar / chain at point of cutting ( just before the oiler )  and try mineral oil ...

I have been running ported 50cc and 60cc saws with 8 pin sprockets for years ( 15" and 18" respectively ) and have never encountered this problem . I don't use veg oil though .  I do/did flip the bar every now and then and change the powermate rim maybe every third chain . . This is not to the stricter " rules " that Rob D posted but I don't ignore basic maintenance .  As has been said before by me and others start with a blank canvass . New bar , new chain , new rim and use non veg oil , ( on one saw )  just as an experiment to eliminate  things . Run this setup alongside what you have been doing and see what the differences/results are .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

I have been running ported 50cc and 60cc saws with 8 pin sprockets for years ( 15" and 18" respectively ) and have never encountered this problem . I don't use veg oil though .  I do/did flip the bar every now and then and change the powermate rim maybe every third chain . . This is not to the stricter " rules " that Rob D posted but I don't ignore basic maintenance .  As has been said before by me and others start with a blank canvass . New bar , new chain , new rim and use non veg oil , ( on one saw )  just as an experiment to eliminate  things . Run this setup alongside what you have been doing and see what the differences/results are .

All those new toys should result in finding a solution.

Stihl suggest a ratio of 4 chains to two sprockets to one guidebar. I am pretty meticulous  on maintenance and check the sprockets regularly as the wear tolerance is only 0.5mm, you can check the Stihl ones with a little gadget they sell (pretty inexpensive) the Oregon Powerwmate ones have black lines running across them, they are ‘witness’ marks, when they start to disappear, change the sprocket.

I use Supertack Bio oil from Clark Forest, have done for years, no problems over mineral.

On 14/04/2021 at 15:25, Joe Newton said:

Any ideas what's causing this premature wear on the 30" sugi?

Only bought it from Rob 6-7 years ago. Presume it's still under warranty?

IMG-20210413-WA0002.jpeg

That just looks - weird 😅

Never seen anything like it so something of an achievement I guess!