Excessive bar wear

the village idiot

On 12/04/2021 at 00:10, Stere said:

Old thread same topic:

Hello, my issues stem from the Aspen bio oil which is excellent on the smaller guide bars but not so effective in the longer ones it being a very light oil.

I continue to use Aspen for every saw except bars 63cm and over.

I've also not entirely ruled out a newish but rogue chain as a factor.

To make certain I also ditched all previous 63cm chains for new.

Following Rob's advice I am more than ever pro-active with  regular sprocket changes.

As ever, these pages are an invaluable source of info.

Stuart

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Quick update on this.

We have isolated the cause of our disturbingly high bar turnover. It was the bar oil as several of you suggested.

We switched to mineral oil a couple of weeks ago and the difference has been night and day.

I think bio-oil is probably fine for typical day to day use but if you are working the saws extremely hard (as we do when ringing up cordwood) then mineral oil seems to be vastly superior.

I'm sure we will see even more benefit from more regular sprocket changes too, but it was definitely the oil that was causing the biggest problem.

Thanks to all of you for your input!👍🙂

• Like 13

6 hours ago, the village idiot said:

Quick update on this.

We have isolated the cause of our disturbingly high bar turnover. It was the bar oil as several of you suggested.

We switched to mineral oil a couple of weeks ago and the difference has been night and day.

I think bio-oil is probably fine for typical day to day use but if you are working the saws extremely hard (as we do when ringing up cordwood) then mineral oil seems to be vastly superior.

I'm sure we will see even more benefit from more regular sprocket changes too, but it was definitely the oil that was causing the biggest problem.

Thanks to all of you for your input!👍🙂

Glad you've got it figured out, cheers.

• Like 2

On 11/04/2021 at 11:50, the village idiot said:

That's only 3 day's worth Khriss. We'll do 10 times that over the course of a season.

Be quicker / easier to leave in lengths & hire a processor.

Get it done in a week including splitting.

22 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Interesting read.

I fully get were you are coming from but a few comments are just not true.

I have a processor (wp30) that can handle arb waste, rings, twisty stuff & straight bits that does not need all the other bits of kit you mention. You can do lengths, rings, short bits & twisty bits yet still have a great volume of production with less manual handling.

Plus I have a second one that has those bits (deck, power source, crane ect) built in to a road legal trailer base.

Not as good for short bits or rings (but can do them) but can do twisty stuff still. It does however virtually remove manual handling.

Especially now you are having it extracted in the lengths it might be time to reconsider your stance.

Re your thinner bits look at a branch logger.

Quality of logs is less but sell them as pit logs. The speed of production more than makes up for a lower resale value.

As you rightly say a processor will never equal the quality of a hand produced split log where each log can be individually worked but a cleaner can make up for it.