Excessive bar wear

the village idiot

44 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've read through and sorry if I missed this but what size bar and what saw? I'm find my 261 doesn't really oil the 18" enough and it gets a little dry. Runs a 15 fine though

Husky 550 with 15"

Husky 560 with 15" and 18"

Stihl 462 with 18"

All have larger sprocket fitted for extra chain speed.

Just now, Wonky said:

I hope you got the oiler turned  up full.  I can’t see a 261 not oiling an 18” unless you got a problem somewhere, that yo7 don’t know about

Yea, it should and I always have it to the max. I just find that an 18 on a 261, especially when ringing up doesn't seem lubed enough. I've not burnt a bar yet or anything but I just find that it's pretty dry compared to a 15. That's with Stihl synthplus. 

• Like 1

Oiler should cope Ok with the combination you are running. Maybe because you are running a larger sprocket it effectively is giving less oil per m of chain, prob OK if you are felling as saw not always flat out and gets a chance to cool down recover. But ringing up dry ash continuously may just be too much., combination of ash known to gum up chains, bio oil (less lubricity) and less oil supply and increased chain speed = more heat/ wear.

But I may be wrong in my summation.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, htb said:

Oiler should cope Ok with the combination you are running. Maybe because you are running a larger sprocket it effectively is giving less oil per m of chain, prob OK if you are felling as saw not always flat out and gets a chance to cool down recover. But ringing up dry ash continuously may just be too much., combination of ash known to gum up chains, bio oil (less lubricity) and less oil supply and increased chain speed = more heat/ wear.

But I may be wrong in my summation.

You may well be right. I could be asking too much of the equipment. It will be interesting to try some mineral oil to see if it makes a difference.

I would personally start with a new bar, chain and sprocket- I would probably stick to 7 tooth for that much logging, as you need torque not chain speed and heat is obviously an issue.

Where are you finding the wear on the bars, below the tip from the logging?

I would say change one thing at a time and make big changes - so that you get maximum chance to see the effect.

If it's bar oil should be clear on changing to something like Stihl synthplus.

Should be possible to run a bigger sprocket on short bar, I am running an 8 pin sprocket on ported 372 with 18" bar, it's gone through a couple of chains so far and I think the bar wear is heavier than I'm used to on Stihl bars - but that's a Husqvarna bar which are apparently like chocolate anyway.

My theory would be your bar temperature is higher than most users because of the non-stop cutting, and the veg oil is broken down by this. Realistically I probably rarely cut for more than half an hour constantly - if I'm ringing a stem it'll all be done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

I would personally start with a new bar, chain and sprocket- I would probably stick to 7 tooth for that much logging, as you need torque not chain speed and heat is obviously an issue.

Where are you finding the wear on the bars, below the tip from the logging?

Can't really see the wear as it is down in the groove. Rails are in good nick.

From wobbling a new chain in the worn bars it feels like there is wear all the way along the groove.

6 minutes ago, the village idiot said:

Can't really see the wear as it is down in the groove. Rails are in good nick.

From wobbling a new chain in the worn bars it feels like there is wear all the way along the groove.

How are you dressing the bar? Do you file the top of the rails as well as the burrs on the sides? 

could you please take some pics of bar, chain and sprockets as it is an interesting problem