Excessive bar wear

the village idiot

33 minutes ago, Stubby said:

You say that but what about Castrol R40 a castor based oil used in racing back in the day .

And that would / could have been my next post... pretty sure the brand name Castrol was originally a play on words due to the fact that before mineral oils were a thing Castor oil was the best known or most popular veg based machine oil available and I'm sure it would lube a bar and chain... at a price.

And yes, used to run my bikes on the stuff, loved it👍

Here, get yer self a bargain, a wee splash in the tank of any petrol machine and you'll still turn heads today😁

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Condition is "New". 3 X 5 Litres Castrol R40. Just to say all Three Cans are Full of Castrol R as described on the tin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Khriss said:

Chain that is sharp, oiling well, should be clean n shiny, no kakk between rivets or mukk in gullets. Yr sawing clean hardwood wood too, hmm. Blunt chain or little oil reaching it get  tar like sawdust sticking to it. K

Ash often leaves the chain brown and dry.  Nothing new there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

+1 for the oil being the problem, I get it when you say you don't want mineral oil all  over your woodland but from an engineering standpoint I doubt that there's many metal to metal contact wearing surfaces that could stand being lubbed with veg oil for very long, can't imaging getting away with using it on a motorcycle chain and sprockets for instance.

From a felling point of view I don't think the Bar and chain would come under such constant pressure as they will be when ringing up so much hardwood, so you could try felling in the wood with saws using bio oil to be green and then using saws with proper oil back at base to ring the stuff up ... and see if there's any difference, which I suspect there might.... and therefore containing any contamination to a specific area whilst prolonging the life of your equipment , cheers.

That's a good shout, thanks.

Would be more comfortable with that arrangement.

44 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I've read through and sorry if I missed this but what size bar and what saw? I'm find my 261 doesn't really oil the 18" enough and it gets a little dry. Runs a 15 fine though

I hope you got the oiler turned  up full.  I can’t see a 261 not oiling an 18” unless you got a problem somewhere, that yo7 don’t know about