Covid-19

Ratman

Think a little harsh on the fatties Big J

Some struggle for yrs trying to loose weight.

I know its as simple eat less but its hard do many to do. Western society may need   some radical changes that could do more to tackle the obesity epidemic than  individual willpower. Being overweight is so common now-  the new normal that many don't even class themselves overweight. As being healthly  now is regarded as looking skinny.

WWW.NATURE.COM

The prevalence of obesity has increased dramatically in recent years. As exposure to obesity increases, perceptions of what...

All western modern societies have an  obesity problem but its less in scandi countires maybe due to there politics.... E.g the prevalance  of cycling in Copenhagen.

Better school sports faucilities, ,make sports centres  free too use, improve cycle lanes "active travel" etc, get kids ans adults cycling and walking to school ans work etc. Activity  needs to be built into everyday lives....

Earlier  health interventions rather than just aceepting some kid looks like Chunk from the goonies. Making healthy food cheaper than junk food.

Just trying to say its not as straightforward as blaming the lazy fatties. 🙂

• Like 6

Definately the Long Covid scares me more than anything,  three or four friends have it now ( all fit previously - runners cyclists) didnt get hospitalised but are constantly knackered now. K
Me too. Contrary to all the fake news it doesn't just affect the 0.00001% of the population who are old, vulnerable or indeed obese. As evidenced by your friends. I've also heard, from reliable medical data, that you are more likely to develop Long Covid if you only had a relatively mild initial infection so didn't need hospitalisation. Very scary indeed.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Think a little harsh on the fatties Big J

Some struggle for yrs trying to loose weight.

I know its as simple eat less but its hard do many to do. Western society may need   some radical changes that could do more to tackle the obesity epidemic than  individual willpower. Being overweight is so common now-  the new normal that many don't even class themselves overweight. As being healthly  now is regarded as looking skinny.

WWW.NATURE.COM

The prevalence of obesity has increased dramatically in recent years. As exposure to obesity increases, perceptions of what...

All western modern societies have an  obesity problem but its less in scandi countires maybe due to there politics.... E.g the prevalance  of cycling in Copenhagen.

Better school sports faucilities, ,make sports centres  free too use, improve cycle lanes "active travel" etc, get kids ans adults cycling and walking to school ans work etc. Activity  needs to be built into everyday lives....

Earlier  health interventions rather than just aceepting some kid looks like Chunk from the goonies. Making healthy food cheaper than junk food.

Just trying to say its not as straightforward as blaming the lazy fatties. 🙂

I do remember some years ago reading about schools raising concerns about kids being underweight because their ribs could be seen. I cannot remember any time as a child when my ribs weren't visible, but I agree that the perception of what constitutes a healthy weight has shifted.

I'm outside of the normal weight range (6ft 8", 118-120kg) but I train with weights and do rather a lot of rowing at the moment. On paper I'm almost obese, but I'm clearly not. 

As you say, incorporating exercise into daily life is of paramount importance. I don't have an issue with junk food really, but it needs to be consumed in moderation and with the understanding that there is a price. Eat a Big Mac meal, take a long walk. They balance out. 

As I said earlier though, I've never met anyone who had ongoing weight issues where the cause wasn't obvious. I'm not saying that addressing the cause doesn't take some will power, but it's not rocket science. Calories in need to be accounted for. Either you use them, or they get stored. Simples 😎

• Like 4

It makes me laugh when 'on paper' people are classed as obese, I worked on a ten man gang years ago, we had a wellness check by the company we worked for, 9 out of the ten were obese on paper, right! We were quite a fit bunch of lads.

I was the odd one out, I've been 11 n half to 12 stone since I was in my late teens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

It makes me laugh when 'on paper' people are classed as obese, I worked on a ten man gang years ago, we had a wellness check by the company we worked for, 9 out of the ten were obese on paper, right! We were quite a fit bunch of lads.

I was the odd one out, I've been 11 n half to 12 stone since I was in my late teens.

Was just thinking, there was a photo posted here at one time (I think by aspenarb) of his son on a rugby pitch looking extremely fit and strong, on paper he was obese too

Talking of shifting normals, the perception of what is a healthy body shape changing; I think media has a lot to answer for again. There's an advert been around for a few months now, in one scene there's an obviously fat kid jumping around on a bed. Not sure of the company but I think it's a mortgage or house moving type advert. It winds me up every time I see it! To me things like that just say "it's fine if you or your children look a bit fat, that's what people look like on TV so there's no problem".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But thoose players a small % and far outnumbered by the just  plain obese/overweight &  the people  that claim its all muscle coz the did rugby once a week on saturday yrs ago etc   or have done weights a few times.

BMI is just a handy rough guide and doesn't take into account fitness. 

Sumo wrestlers and shot putters etc ......