McDermotts rope brake

Vespasian

12 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I think I’ll invent a toilet that I can push round the house with me so I don’t have to walk to the toilet if I need a shite.

I have been successfully going to the toilet for over 50 years, so I think I have some experience of the business! 

I can tell you now that is the breakthrough we’ve been waiting for, I will gladly video myself using your innovative product.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

I have been successfully going to the toilet for over 50 years, so I think I have some experience of the business! 

I can tell you now that is the breakthrough we’ve been waiting for, I will gladly video myself using you innovative product.

Mick shurrup will ya.  Yer full of....!

Some of these over complicated friction devices may have their place in tree work from time to time but 9 times out of 10 the task can be simplified. I get the impression that some people struggle to decide on whether they need a Prince Albert or a GRCS as an en vogue accessory,     'ahh i knew i could have the best of both worlds so i'll buy a AFD or a McDermotts rope brake as either looks cool when on show'.    I reduced a TPO'd oak on Thursday,  it was all lightweight rigging over a nice patio so i actually used the end of my climbing line to lower off each 'piece',  for added friction i placed the line thru a natural crotch and stood on the rope to increase/decrease the required friction and control descent.  Absolutely safe and fine to do so in my opinion and less messing about with over complicated devices when simplicity is the order of the day.  As fer yer man in that video with the rope brake,  i'd most likely cut and hold some of those pieces or step cut them and then snap them off, or cut and free fall,  but i do appreciate he was simply demonstrating the merits of the device.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

Bunch of morons, if it wasn't for people who want to solve problems in tree work you muppets would still be on three strand..

whatever works and whatever yer happy using. If people climb on 3 strand and are happy and safe doin so then so be it (actually a mate stihl climbs on it!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vespasian said:

Well you ain't learned that some people like to do things different..   I want an ariel friction device.

Reg coat use's a rope wrench for light rigging, I suppose you think he's doin something wrong as well....   you know, because his friction device isn't chained to the damned stump...

like reg I like to work alone when possible..   so havin a friction device in the tree suits my style..  

If you've got your little heart set on it, then fair enough.

You could try the munter hitch running through a big carabiner, works pretty well ?

• Like 1