McDermotts rope brake

Vespasian

59 minutes ago, Vespasian said:

What I love is regulations and red tape...  HnS....   what ever happened to taking on your own responsibility for the work you do...  and it is what I do, I wouldn't let anyone else use my chainsaw on a job..  or ask em to climb.   if I cause any damage I won't be claiming on insurance..   

I take the risk I take on the responsibility...  I don't see why a third party should be hovering over tryin to get their pound of flesh..

I'm of the same mind. Actually don't really care about breaking certain "laws" up to a point. I put up my aluminium access tower for painting and maintenance jobs, sometimes on a public sidewalk, and I don't hold a scaffolding ticket. People smoke marijuana and feel totally entitled to do so, even though it's breaking the law. Laws are only worth obeying if they are actually for the public good - i.e. Not stealing, hitting, or going toilet in the street. Or if they can be enforced, and if the punishment is horrible enough to make it not worth the risk, even though the chances of being caught are virtually nil. When the nanny state pulls new "laws" out of you know where, people just know if they are morally binding or not. It's situational. To blindly obey every law on the books is to be a blind slave to the state rather than being guided by conscience. If you actually read up the HSE fines they scale with the ability to pay, and the severity of the breach. Multimillion pound companies are hit will massive fines, but small operators would be looking at around ten grand or so, for a death. Obviously that's separate to any civil suits... For something like a one man band being caught red handed without lolered equipment...you could expect a finger wagging and an "improvement notice". I mean really...if we are going to accuse people of giving the sector a bad name, do lets accuse the right people, and you all know who I mean.

Edited by Haironyourchest
Spelling
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ratman said:

A force of nature moving against an immoveable object........

Who are ya?..... jabba the hutt!
https://www.syfy.com/sites/syfy/files/styles/1200x1200/public/2017/08/image_991736d0_0.jpg?itok=698kvndC&timestamp=1503078015

Not only do I do trees part time I'm also a part time philosopher..  its where I pick up my best quotes..

Now then Ratman, keep your trap shut for the rest of the night as I'd like Haironyouchests post to hang in there for a while at the top of the page....

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Vespasian said:

Errm did you now.. cause I'm not so sure you mean't to say that..  I think you was gonna say device but had a change of heart at the last minute.. lets look at the evidence shall we..

............As has been pointed out, there are simpler, lighter, probably cheaper and most importantly, mid line attachementable (not a real word) ways of doing it...............

why would something be cheaper if you was suggesting a stub..  

Only you could (when shown irrefutable proof of what someone said) could say, “that’s not what you meant”

Comical really, serve me right for engaging a fool.

There are mid line attachmentable DEVICES however...voila!

28E07992-CD82-42A9-A912-16ED8CB91184.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, my ha'penny worth. Frankly a lot of engineering to put up in a tree, I am sure he is proud of the design ( an it's impressive engineering - unlike the knots he was using ! ) but there are many ways to do the same thing with just a steel karabiner. K

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Only you could (when shown irrefutable proof of what someone said) could say, “that’s not what you meant”

Comical really, serve me right for engaging a fool.

There are mid line attachmentable DEVICES however...voila!

28E07992-CD82-42A9-A912-16ED8CB91184.jpeg

Ah, now that does fit the description of being cheaper, though to be honest not sure if better..   though if I was gonna buy one or the other it would be this one... two hundred dollars against six hundred dollars..

I think a rope wrench as a lowering friction device and then one of these and I'll be fully kitted out for my one man band operation..   

Well Mick you might be a dick sometimes but at least a useful one today..  its just what I've bin lookin for....