McDermotts rope brake

Vespasian

1 hour ago, wicklamulla said:

Mick shurrup will ya.  Yer full of....!

Some of these over complicated friction devices may have their place in tree work from time to time but 9 times out of 10 the task can be simplified. I get the impression that some people struggle to decide on whether they need a Prince Albert or a GRCS as an en vogue accessory,     'ahh i knew i could have the best of both worlds so i'll buy a AFD or a McDermotts rope brake as either looks cool when on show'.    I reduced a TPO'd oak on Thursday,  it was all lightweight rigging over a nice patio so i actually used the end of my climbing line to lower off each 'piece',  for added friction i placed the line thru a natural crotch and stood on the rope to increase/decrease the required friction and control descent.  Absolutely safe and fine to do so in my opinion and less messing about with over complicated devices when simplicity is the order of the day.  As fer yer man in that video with the rope brake,  i'd most likely cut and hold some of those pieces or step cut them and then snap them off, or cut and free fall,  but i do appreciate he was simply demonstrating the merits of the device.

End of climb line is standard stuff, but I’ll lock the rope round a stub, then lower with two free hands.

Biggest problem with it is when the piece entangles itself in the loop of your line. For that reason I’ll try,and keep it for pieces I can easily lift back up to free them.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2018 at 07:19, buffalo606 said:

I bought one of those Mick - but turns out the RC 2001 works just fine at 20m above ground level - so the AFB went back unused 

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 08.13.48.png

On 30/11/2018 at 09:01, Vespasian said:

Who's gonna haul a lump like that up a tree?..

that's excellent - if you have installed a nice pulley that would come up easy, leaving the one groundsman to pull stuff clear with the tagline, or finish knocking up the sauce for the steak bearnaise

if you are solo then tie off the end of the rigging line in the tree, clip the pieces into a loop of the rigging line and just untie the end and pull the rope back up to you through the carabiner once the piece is down. Much slower than more people, but if you can't find anyone who doesn' think £35 a day is a pisstake for a groundie

Edited by tree-fancier123
  • Like 1

On 01/12/2018 at 12:20, Joe Newton said:

Are we really supposed to believe that Vest works alone of his own choice?

Obviously I don't always work alone but do when possible...

I like quiet and I like to do things my way...  and I like to drive home of an evening without wanting to push someone out the van at some point...

On 01/12/2018 at 11:02, tree-fancier123 said:

that's excellent - if you have installed a nice pulley that would come up easy, leaving the one groundsman to pull stuff clear with the tagline, or finish knocking up the sauce for the steak bearnaise

if you are solo then tie off the end of the rigging line in the tree, clip the pieces into a loop of the rigging line and just untie the end and pull the rope back up to you through the carabiner once the piece is down. Much slower than more people, but if you can't find anyone who doesn' think £35 a day is a pisstake for a groundie

I was just watching a fella on utube yesterday do exactly that.. seems a bit long winded but better than climbing down every twenty minutes..    

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Isn’t Vespasian short for the Flavian Roman emperor Titus Flavius Vespasianus ?
Could we perhaps just shorten it to ‘Tit’ or ‘Anus’ ?
Seems so terribly appropriate somehow .

How about we shorten yours to Twat..