Cladding a container

lewiswood

4 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Bear (sp) in mind the cost of getting rid of the old asbestos. My neighbour had an asbestos shed taken down and removed a few years ago. I can't remember what she said she paid but she had to sell a kidney to pay for it.

This .

20 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Bear (sp) in mind the cost of getting rid of the old asbestos. My neighbour had an asbestos shed taken down and removed a few years ago. I can't remember what she said she paid but she had to sell a kidney to pay for it.

Many firms take advantage but most garages will be made of a cement reinforced with less than 10% chrysotile asbestos. As long as you take proper precautions this is not a notifiable process whereas the fluffy asbestos and  insulation boards are as they contain blue asbestos.   When I last dealt with this about 5 years ago we dismantled the roofing as carefully as possible after first wetting the roof. The guys wore disposable overalls and simple respirators.  All the material was put in hippo bags and then wrapped with Damp Proof Membrane, the coveralls and respirator filters went with the roofing. We delivered it to a licensed site for disposal and it only cost twice the rate for normal residual landfill, though there was a minimum charge for 3 tonne and the £30 cost of a conveyance note.

It's worth being wary as I have lost 2 cousins from lung disease contracted while working in the Devonport dockyard in the 60s.

Carefully remove the roof - grind off the nail heads and lift the sheets off. If you're worried about generating dust, paint the sheets with exterior emulsion first. Then use to clad the side of your container or side and roof if there are enough sheets. It will look like the shed had never been moved, no issue with planners etc. 

The only thing with cladding a container, putting a tin roof over the top etc is for the amount of work & materials you may aswell have just built a shed? And without insulation, you'll likely get condensation.

All going well I have a 25ft refrigerated box getting delivered on a hiab in the next couple days.

Plan is to buy a big bucket of green paint and do it with a roller :001_cool:

• Like 2

I am looking at the idea of a container too, thinking 30ft ( companies out there do them and at sensible money.) leave the container doors one end and use fo r chipper etc. Then cut a side door into the main bit and build a workshop. spray foam insulation etc. Would need to be clad, not worried about a roof though maybe just paint the top of the container black?

9 hours ago, scbk said:

The only thing with cladding a container, putting a tin roof over the top etc is for the amount of work & materials you may aswell have just built a shed? 

This. At least work out the cost of each.

As for roof, it definitely needs to slope as the flat roof of a container allows water to collect which eventually causes a rust hole.