Cladding a container

lewiswood

I’m hoping to move house shortly, the house I’m buying has an old asbestos garage that needs knocking down ASAP. I was thinking of buying a container to replace it and cladding it in some waney edge larch or similar go make it look less industrial and hopefully please the planners.

Has anyone here done this themselves and what do you think the best way is. Glueing batons to the container? Or screwing on. Timber frame? And would it require a sloped roof? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

I converted one for a client. As I remember I fixed some batten's into the profile. Used  tech screws to fix them to the steel (the inside was lined so projecting screws didn't matter). Fixed feather edge boards to the batten's. Put a sloping box profile roof over the top that projected over the outer cladding. 

Allowing some breathing space between the steel and timber would be advisable i guess, maybe a 2x2 horizontally top bottom and middle then run vertical cladding or vice versa? bolted or tec screwed...... woodworks obviously typing at the same time as me! both saying the same thing really, so "what he said"!!

19 minutes ago, lewiswood said:

I’m hoping to move house shortly, the house I’m buying has an old asbestos garage that needs knocking down ASAP. I was thinking of buying a container to replace it and cladding it in some waney edge larch or similar go make it look less industrial and hopefully please the planners.

Has anyone here done this themselves and what do you think the best way is. Glueing batons to the container? Or screwing on. Timber frame? And would it require a sloped roof? Any suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks

A friend did this for a bread oven/prep kitchen when he started a bakery at home. 2 x 2 bolted though as a mounting for nailing boards to, 4 x 2 tapered on the top for roofing frame work to give you 2" fall over the width. looked really good..provided its sited level on firm ground. He insulated with rock wool as he clad which i think is worthwhile.

I've got a 7.5t fridge body here for parts/tree guards/pipe fiiting storage and did the same for roof only but roof started moving around a bit in the wind so had to put braces inside to hold bolts through better.

Have to agree with the above about using tec screws, I did once try using products like "grip like sh1t" to attach batons to a steel shipping container and it was shit, think the problem with trying to use adhesive is that the metal of the container shrinks and expands in the sunshine at a different rate to the wooden batons and breaks the bond. It gives you a laugh when you go out a week after completing the job to find the woodwork all down on the deck.