Twin axle versus tri axle trailers - pros and cons?

Big J

2 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Is that mini forwarder two tons or about two tons BigJ ?  A bare bones 3.5 ton chassis cab with a pair of skids in the place of the bed may just about accommodate that little rig, it would be a lot less grief than a trailer for maneuvering around tight lanes.

Bob

I had thought that! It's going to be 2 tonnes or just under. I''ll check with the manufacturer :D

11 hours ago, Big J said:

Looking at all of the UK manufacturers, the prices are just brutal. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm honestly tempted to get two trailers from Germany instead. First would be a dedicated car transporter type trailer (£2020 plus VAT):

http://www.lehwald-marl.de/anhaenger-verkauf/autotransporter/30to-autotransporter-5m-plus.html

And then a smaller general purpose twin axle flatbed with a canopy roof (demountable) for those times when a van would have been really handy (like moving furniture, as I won't have a van anymore). Cheap too, at £1600:

http://www.lehwald-marl.de/anhaenger-verkauf/zweiachser-hochlader-m-plane/eduard-310mx160m-20to-155r13.html

That's cheaper than one 16ft flatbed with a few extras from almost any UK manufacturer, unless I'm missing something. I've had my German Unsinn trailer for over three years now, it's worked bloody hard and has been faultless.

According to the translator, also comes with a "Knott casserole". Always handy.

• Like 1

If the Germans are so much cheaper and better it seams like a no brainier to get two. Ifor are definitely going down hill while prices going up. Having said that just got a new trailer below list price within a week from Sheriffs at Coldstream, other quoting list plus £100 and 8 weeks lead time. It’s the depreciation of Ifor that helps, not many things you can run for 10 years, sell and lose £500.
That's it. An Ifor Williams trailer is an investment rather than a purchase. I've sold 5 of the 7 I've had and at worse lost £80 and best made £400 - despite years of service.

People are mad really, I sold a 10 year old plant trailer for £1400. I replaced it with a brand new gh94 for £2000.

My mate buys trailers from germany as his other halfs family are over there. Think you need to get insurance, registration and stuff, but still works out very cheap. its just may not be quite as simple as walking out with it. But the ferry is not much more so may as well bring two back i'd say 

That flat bed with winch looks ace.

11 minutes ago, ostosix said:

My mate buys trailers from germany as his other halfs family are over there. Think you need to get insurance, registration and stuff, but still works out very cheap. its just may not be quite as simple as walking out with it. But the ferry is not much more so may as well bring two back i'd say 

Why not bring as many as you can if you have enough buyer's when you get them  back. Bootleg trailer run

1 hour ago, ostosix said:

It is really simple if you are taking them straight out the country. No need for registration, tax or insurance. That's what I did with my Unsinn trailer 3 years ago.