Twin axle versus tri axle trailers - pros and cons?

Big J

1 hour ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Hello Big J,

How much might a tipping trailer be? Around 2t capacity.

I've German friends who can help.

Also, are any chippers less expensive?

T.P are almost double the U.K price and the other makes up to 40% more.

Regards

Ty

Quite inexpensive for tippers:

https://www.ahrens-ullmann.de/epages/61364809.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61364809/Products/CHPW1.2

I'm not sure about chippers, as I've never had a need for one so haven't researched. The trailers were cheap when the exchange rate was £1:1.30 Euros, but they are still the budget option even with the poor rate we've had since the Brexit vote.

4 hours ago, Big J said:

Does anyone have any experience with Woodford Trailers? Their 16x7ft flatbed looks solidly built, includes ramps and is only £2404 plus VAT. I'd want larger wheels on it ideally but otherwise it looks very good. 

http://www.woodfordtrailers.com/flatbed

3.5t looks like it’s £2800+, they look nice but Ifor would be similar money, possibly cheaper?

23 minutes ago, Big J said:

I don't need 3.5t, only 2.7t. That puts it down to £2404 :D

Thought it was for your mini forwarder? If it’s 2t plus and you’ll be taking all tools, attachments etc I wouldnt save a few hundred quid to get a lower spec, if you get a 3.5t tow vehicle too you’ll just kick yourself every time you want to load up more. I’ve got a 3t 16’ and always wish it was heavier rated. Went down from a 3.5t and didn’t think I’d miss it but do, especially at that size. Got a smaller 3.5t but to be honest i struggle to get the weight onto it unless it’s the digger.

13 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Thought it was for your mini forwarder? If it’s 2t plus and you’ll be taking all tools, attachments etc I wouldnt save a few hundred quid to get a lower spec, if you get a 3.5t tow vehicle too you’ll just kick yourself every time you want to load up more. I’ve got a 3t 16’ and always wish it was heavier rated. Went down from a 3.5t and didn’t think I’d miss it but do, especially at that size. Got a smaller 3.5t but to be honest i struggle to get the weight onto it unless it’s the digger.

I checked with the manufacturer and he reckons the empty weight of the machine is 1550kg, or 1750kg if the tipping body is attached. It might be a bit more than that, but still well under the 1900kg legal payload. I do see your point though, and would consider the 3500kg version.

Look at resale value too.

Triaxles hold their money better, and Ifor will sell for almost what a new one does, so cost of ownership is minimal.

Buy any other brand and you are always telling people 'its as good as an ifor' when trying to sell it. People just know Ifor (regardless of how the quality is).

And definitely get a 3500kg even if you dont need it! Better tyres, brakes, axles, and you'll sell it easier!

I must prefer triaxles, very forgiving to bad loads, dont move about as much on the road, and stop better.

Ifor 16 triaxle flatbed with ramps and drop sides £3500+vat

Edited by JimE
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JimE said:

Look at resale value too.

Triaxles hold their money better, and Ifor will sell for almost what a new one does, so cost of ownership is minimal.

Buy any other brand and you are always telling people 'its as good as an ifor' when trying to sell it. People just know Ifor (regardless of how the quality is).

And definitely get a 3500kg even if you dont need it! Better tyres, brakes, axles, and you'll sell it easier!

I must prefer triaxles, very forgiving to bad loads, dont move about as much on the road, and stop better.

Ifor 16 triaxle flatbed with ramps and drop sides £3500+vat

Totally agree with the above better resale value with ifor and a proven bit of kit, just look on fleabag and your answer is there e.g 2 yr old  Nugent £1750 Brian James £1500 ifor £2200 other trailers seem to be cheap as chips ? But who Buys them I wouldn't , as i wouldnt consider owt but ifor far cheaper per mile/year to own.

I understand the resale value on the Ifor Williams is very good, but I just don't like them very much. Agricultural, rattle around constantly, you have to take a spanner to them to take the corners and half way posts off, the flat bed isn't actually flat due to the one inch lip around the edge (huge pain in the ass when loading and unloading with a forklift) and my 12x5ft 8" Ifor towed awfully compared to the German trailer I have. I think that Ifor have a bit of a cult following now, and their value is a reflection of that cult status, not their build quality or practicality. 

I understand the resale value on the Ifor Williams is very good, but I just don't like them very much. Agricultural, rattle around constantly, you have to take a spanner to them to take the corners and half way posts off, the flat bed isn't actually flat due to the one inch lip around the edge (huge pain in the ass when loading and unloading with a forklift) and my 12x5ft 8" Ifor towed awfully compared to the German trailer I have. I think that Ifor have a bit of a cult following now, and their value is a reflection of that cult status, not their build quality or practicality. 

Have you looked at graham Edwards trailers?
My dad has had a 14ft 6ft 6 for 10 years or so. Been a great trailer.
Just another one to look at