Twin axle versus tri axle trailers - pros and cons?

Big J

Wanted to pick the collective brain of Arbtalk regarding trailers.

I've done loads and loads of heavy towing over the past 6-7 years or so with twin axle trailers and would consider myself reasonably adept and experienced now. I'm also careful regarding my load distributions and strapping. It's mostly solid timber I've transported, as opposed to machinery. 

From June, I'll be doing lots of towing with a 2000kg forwarder on a 16ft trailer and I'm swithering between twin and triple axle trailers. 

Can anyone with experience of both offer any insight into differences and pros and cons?

Much appreciated!

• Like 1

Less load allowance on a triple in most cases.

Harder to reverse with more scrub especially on tighter turns.

Easier to load/balance, less likely to over load one axle.

Less load applied to the vehicle in motion (pitching & yawing) 

More stable at speed & less likely to snake but wants to go straight on in bends.

Better brake force.

• Like 2

I have 3  twin axles and they suit me better than 3 axles.  I carry a real variety of loads and often need as much weight capacity as possible. They also seem(to my mind anyway) easier to manover which is important as I work in loads of different domestic places. 

If I carried one item of fixed weight up and down the motorway all the time I'd probably go for tri axle, but  the twin axle is perfectly happy provided you get the loading right..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Big J said:

Wanted to pick the collective brain of Arbtalk regarding trailers.

From June, I'll be doing lots of towing with a 2000kg forwarder on a 16ft trailer and

Probably the sort of machine that is front heavy when unladen and would be wrong on a two axle trailer whichever way you load it, I would find out the weight distribution of the machine first and then make a decision. Have borrowed a friends tri axle IW trailer and they really are a nice bit of it, cant say I noticed the extra drag on turning but that said it was on the road and dry, on the loose it may well be a different beast.

Bob

• Like 1

I could use the agility of a twin axle, but as I'll always be towing an uneven load, perhaps the tri axle is more sensible. I've been discussing trailers with Batesons, and like their offerings. Anyone had experience with them, good or bad?

My memories of Batesons  were that they were a bit lightweight and would not standup to overloading as well as Ifors, mind you that was quitre a few years ago, they may have improved since.