Twin axle versus tri axle trailers - pros and cons?

Big J

11 minutes ago, dig-dug-dan said:

What does re mapping do to fuel economy, and will it invalidate the warranty? I appreciate your warranty is expired, but was thinking of doing it to my cabstar

Big improvement in fuel economy (about 15%) and power too. Couldn't imagine running the truck on the standard 130bhp. 

21 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Try axle any day 

I've had numerous ifors both twin and tri and the latter is far more stable, load distribution tolerant and for me I find them easier to reverse. Yes they can scrub the tyres and are a pain to manoeuvre by hand but the pros outweigh the cons for me. Came home two days ago fully loaded on 5 tyres ie 1 punctured I could not have done same on 3. 

Thanks for the input gents.

Still open on the choice! hahaha

I was swaying triple axle but then someone said you have to be more careful when loading, what are your thoughts on that?

I had in my mind that when loading a car, although the load needs to be right, I would have more flexibility on a triple.

5 hours ago, mathewd said:

Thanks for the input gents.

Still open on the choice! hahaha

I was swaying triple axle but then someone said you have to be more careful when loading, what are your thoughts on that?

I had in my mind that when loading a car, although the load needs to be right, I would have more flexibility on a triple.

I'd say the tri axle is more tolerant to poor load placement that a twin. For me it would be tri any day, I know it's personnel preference to a certain extent but based on my own experiences it's what I'd go for. 

On 21/02/2019 at 19:01, Big J said:

Big improvement in fuel economy (about 15%) and power too. Couldn't imagine running the truck on the standard 130bhp. 

Got a quote on getting the cabstar done. They have to get into the ecu on mine to do, but i can get 165hp instead of the 130 i have now.

They advise informing my insurance company!

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Got a quote on getting the cabstar done. They have to get into the ecu on mine to do, but i can get 165hp instead of the 130 i have now.

They advise informing my insurance company!

It's pretty much untraceable unless they are looking for it, so I haven't bothered.