CS 31 booked, advice

ag Ed

23 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Never walk under a hung up tree or walk in front of the tree when the fellers doin the back cut. 

These are the only instances where ive heard people fail a felling course.

Learn 5 steps to risk assesment aswell.

As stubby says relax enjoy it and hope the tutors not an arsehole...

Assesors are usually great but you do get the odd tutor who's a total bellend

Good luck mate

Yes totally agree some tutors are complete bellends ant the odd assessor who's an arsehole , only thing to add to this is left thumb round the front handle and not along side it, print the criteria sheet of the NPTC website and read it till you have memorised it and there's plenty of vids on YouTube to watch ,all the best and good luck with it ,stay calm and relaxed its not about how fast you can do it, its doing it in a safe controlled manor.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Brushcutter said:

Not on a 31.

31 is 3 hazards and risks of the work and 3 hazards and risks of the site.

32 has the 5 steps.

Just looked at nptc assesment schedule for cs 31 small tree felling.

Candidate must be able to indentify risk assesment for the work to be carried out.

If the candidate needs to know the risk assesment then they will have to know how the risk assesment is formed through the 5 steps.

I had to on my cs 31 course and all courses thereafter

7 hours ago, stihlmadasever said:

Just looked at nptc assesment schedule for cs 31 small tree felling.

Candidate must be able to indentify risk assesment for the work to be carried out.

If the candidate needs to know the risk assesment then they will have to know how the risk assesment is formed through the 5 steps.

I had to on my cs 31 course and all courses thereafter

The candidate only has to provide the 3 hazards and risk for the work and the area. Assessor can ask for the 5 stages of a risk assessment in the assessment but cant fail you if you get it wrong as it isn't in the qualification

• Like 1

One thing I found good advice with the bore/release-dogtooth cut was not to try and bore in and put in your hinge in one go, start back a little bit, taking your time and work towards the hinge to get it perfect. As you get more experienced you can do it all in one. Good luck, you'll be fine?

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

One I remember from doing mine like forever ago is 2 tree lengths from the next worker in the woods and thumb round the handle properly I always find my thumb on the top of the handle and then think oh should not be doing that but mostly just relax and don’t rush just reading what everyone has said things must have changed a lot from when I did mine , cs 30+31 were done together 30 on the college grounds and 31 in the woods must be getting old 

Good Luck.  Mark

3 hours ago, gobbypunk said:

One I remember from doing mine like forever ago is 2 tree lengths from the next worker in the woods and thumb round the handle properly I always find my thumb on the top of the handle and then think oh should not be doing that but mostly just relax and don’t rush just reading what everyone has said things must have changed a lot from when I did mine , cs 30+31 were done together 30 on the college grounds and 31 in the woods must be getting old 

Good Luck.  Mark

You'll go to prison for that thumb thing :D