Petition for legislation for winter and all season tyres

Big J

I have Nokian’s on both my Hilux and Audi Etron in the winter.

I used to have studded tyres on my A6, that was great fun in the snow.

I rate the Nokian’s, can’t compare though to other brands as I’ve always had them on my cars in Norway for winter driving.

23 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Ever tried snow chains ? Had some for my first truck but it never snowed enough to warrant them down here .

I've got snow chains for the transit, they're great, but are a bit of a faff to get them on and off

• Like 1

I fit all seasons on wife's car all year round. Nokians, kleber, Michelins. One set will prob last 2yrs, but great security on water washed roads not even a sense of aquaplaning on very badly drained roads here in west cork, Ireland . We have a mountain farm where we get snowed in every winter, and iced roads with no grit. 200m lower down the road practically never see snow, but always ice.- still no grit !

Downsides,  higher cost (slightly), lower lifespan (marginally)  and a massive amount of shitty spray all over the back of the cars. Have fitted to freelander1, freelander2,  Renault captur, and now suzuki vitara allgrip. Wouldn't go back.

My defender now runs road tyres all the time, - bloody things last forever in comparison to all terrains. When things get sticky or slippery put on chains on front end, if really bad, chains all round.  Will get me everywhere I need / want to go, though filthy as hell in mud. Limited to about 35mph on roads by noise and discomfort . Absolutely superb fun in snow to get to those stupid places no one else can even imagine driving.  😜

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

As I mentioned, I really liked having genuine Winter Tyres in Norway. Studs even more so. It converted my Beemer 3 Series from something that could not climb a simple hill to an ice drifting machine. 

It seems you’re more concerned about getting up a slope than down it. Yet the accidents seem to happen when gravity plays its part. On a sheet of ice or polished/compacted snow and a driver who see’s these conditions a couple of days a year if they’re not on holiday will still slide down the hill and bash the car/cars in front regardless of it’s summer, mixed or Winter tyres. Lifting the ban on studs would see an end to it of course. 

4x4 obviously makes a huge difference. I was pulling vans up hills in my 265/50/20 summer tyres all day for the only dump of snow we had last Winter. In Scotland. 

Gotta love a Jeep. 😁

I believe that 4x4s with summer tyres on are probably the most dangerous cars on the road in snow and ice. Enough traction to get going, but as we all know, an all wheel drive system does nothing to help you stop.

An all season tyre will help you stop as well as it helps you get going. 

Given that there aren't many drawbacks, I'm a bit confused as to why you're against them.

• Like 1

Don't remember if it's in the blurb accompanying them, or if some of the Michelin tech guys told me, but the Crossclimates work better than summer tyres on all but bone dry surfaces, even then only above 10°C, and the drop off in performance is marginal.

My brother in law was having a clear out a year or two ago and gave me an almost brand new set of Michelin Primacy which as it was summer I put straight on to the Accord to save the Crosssclimates. I didn't notice any difference in grip in the dry, and I push on a bit when I have to, only difference I noticed was the steering a wee bit more vague (*edit* - with the Crossclimates!), presumably due to the Primacy having deeper lateral grooves and the Crossclimates having shallower diagonal ones.

But it wasn't that significant, most people probably wouldn't even notice it.

Edited by coppice cutter

29 minutes ago, Big J said:

I believe that 4x4s with summer tyres on are probably the most dangerous cars on the road in snow and ice. Enough traction to get going, but as we all know, an all wheel drive system does nothing to help you stop.

An all season tyre will help you stop as well as it helps you get going. 

Given that there aren't many drawbacks, I'm a bit confused as to why you're against them.

Im certainly not against mixed tyres. I just think we should not bring in a law enforcing Winter Tyres in the U.K. for the week or so we get snow here. I’ve previously stated I really liked my Winter Tyres in Norway, for the odd day I needed them. Norway is far more set up for their use. Buying a car from new most folk order two set of wheels and many store their out of season wheels either in paid storage or at home. By the time the cars come onto the used market the cost for the average buyer is negligible.

I think people should be made aware of the benefits of these tyres and nothing more. If we lived in a harsh climate then I’d agree with you, but we don’t. 

• Like 1

I don't know about legislation regarding winter tyres, although the benefits to having them are clear and I'll certainly be looking into it for my next set on the discovery. Might even get them as 3rd set (a/ts for most use, muds for play days and winters for, well,  winter😅) as d2 alloys aren't worth much at all and I like to have one in stock as a breaker all the time so I'm always trying to shift the old alloys😅😅👍

What really does need legislation is towing eyes!!Every winter, slightly stuck cars cause massive traffic problems by not being towable👎👎

They should legally have to be stored in the front of the car in a special bracket, not buried under a boot full of luggage, or worse still, missing completely.

No towing Eye to hand,  3 points and a fine👍👍

• Like 3
  • Haha 1